guys that weld with c02/argon mix

-
If there is no wind, then they can be set lower.
If there is a breeze blowing you may have to turn it up.
I think we use an initial of about 8 litres a min.
The whole idea was Co2 is to keep the oxygen in the atmosphere away from the area being welded.

thanks for all your help guys.. i called a locaal shop today and they told me they have 125cf and 150cf and they would sell me the 150cf for 225.00 not bad i guess and will refill or trade for 35.00 when the time comes...now i guess i need to go out and pick 1 up and a reg. for the tank...

now what do most of you set your reg. on ????does it change with metal thickness or wire??? like i said i have never used gas before so may sound like a crazy ??? but not crazy to me when i can save myself from being blown up ..lol or do you just have to get a feel for it??? thanks mike:D

now what do most of you set your reg. on ????

You need to refer to your welder destructions. My old 120V Lincoln mig came with a pressure gauge, but the new 180 came with a "flow meter" which I believe is preferred.

You can adjust it without wasting wire by simply getting into the wire compartment and releasing the tension on the drive. Then you can play with the pressure/ flow until you get it "by the book."

I'm no pro, but flow depends somewhat on where you are. Sometimes outdoors you have to run more gas than indoors in calm air.

ok thanks ..as far as welding out side i'll do that with my stick to keep myself from forgetting how.lol most of my mig will be inside the shop ..i hope..thanks guys..does the price sound bout right for the 150cf???? :D

Can't even remember what we paid for the tank here at the shop, just a small 10 pounder. Then I get it refilled at the local welding supply shop, about $12 to get it refilled.

It wasn't that expensive to get it tested/inspected either, Had to get that done last year.

thanks for all your help guys.. i called a locaal shop today and they told me they have 125cf and 150cf and they would sell me the 150cf for 225.00 not bad i guess and will refill or trade for 35.00 when the time comes...now i guess i need to go out and pick 1 up and a reg. for the tank...

now what do most of you set your reg. on ????does it change with metal thickness or wire??? like i said i have never used gas before so may sound like a crazy ??? but not crazy to me when i can save myself from being blown up ..lol or do you just have to get a feel for it??? thanks mike:D
If you are running a psi regulator 15psi is well enuff in doors if you are outside and the wind is blowing you will have to go higher up the wind can still blow thru so windy days make it hard to not get porosity(little holes that shows a bad weld).You will want a little brownish to greyish hard puddle on the weld when its cool,if your used to flux the welds will look different.You can not blow your self up with a mig tank unless you puncher it.And to add all flamable gasses have reverse threads on the tanks so even if they filled the acc. with argon mix you could not just hook it up to your welder without a lot of work.Most places won't trade in your empties from a different company,its actaully a regulation but as mentioned some bend the rules if you work at a place they deal with.So always look at the lacation as well as price because it's a pain driving 60 miles to fill a tank,believe me I know.lol

I'm getting ready to buy one from a local supplier, I can just take the tank in and pick up a new tank. I believe he told me 115 bucks, 20-25 for a refill.

Of course when I get ready to pull the trigger I will ask again on the test thing to make sure it doesn't cost me. If that's the case I'll probably just lease it.

-
Back