Gyrocopters/Helicopters

-
I have a friend that builds kit copters and sells them. they resemble a full size copter with all the electronic, dual seats, enclosed. They're really neat. He told me he was running low on fuel once and had to land at a filling station off of 95, drew a lot of attention. From what he told me about 5 years ago the kit was 75 grand and then the electronics was another 25 and then there was the labor, too rich for my blood!

I've got a honeybee gyrocopter that's about 50% finished.
I'm also looking at a helicopter project to buy.
I was just wondering if anybody on the site messed with
these things and if they might know of parts that might be available.
Both projects are similar to the vids I posted.:-D

I haven't done anything yet with this but I am really interested in these. I plan on building one before I pass, unless it happens before I think it will. I've wanted to build one of these for the last 20 years or so. What type of engine are you using? Keith

The gyro uses a Rotax 447 or 503.
The heli uses a 503.
They're about 50 hp aircooled.

My dad has a ultra-light twin seat with a Rotax 534 water cooled. We are working on getting it airborne again. We also have a Cessna 150.

those are sweet. what are the rules for flying them? like could you fly to work with one if there was room to land and all? i am gonna look into this more lol thats tight

I was hoping more people were into these.
I'm looking for some parts.
I need a motor and a rotor head.
The engine I need is a Rotax 503 or 447 with a B drive.
I'd be interested in abandoned projects or
wrecked ultralights.

I was just snooping around and they have a whole bunch of information. I have not messed around with home built helicopters or fixed wings. I do work on helicopters for a living and they are cool machines and if you are looking into a kit I would do some looking around and see how safe the kit you are looking into is. I know here in Canada all the kits and experimental aircraft have to be approved by TC before they can be sold to the public as well I believe the FAA do the same thing.

As for landing in public both TC and the FAA have regulations on where you can land for the safety of your self and others. It sucks but if it fly's then it falls into there control even if it is a bunch of balloons tied to a lawn chair.

http://www.thirtythousandfeet.com/homebuil.htm#specific

Now I am not to sure what these kits cost but I think I read here that some one is selling them for almost $100 thousand............... WOW. That is almost the cost of a Robinson R22 that is used with time left on the components, so if you are looking at buying a kit made for you by some one then maybe a small commercial built machine could be a choice. Though If you have the time and ability to build your own then go for it.

I have no problem with some tech help or answering questions, I also know that I am not the only tech on here as well.

good luck and have fun

Way back in the early 80s a local guy put thousands of dollars and hours into building a mini chopper. Awesome little gloss black fiberglass cabin, VW Beetle engine. the day finally came when he rolled it out of the shop for it maiden voyage. At about 10 feet off the ground reality set in and right back down it came.
Then sometime in early 90s I found myself at this guys home. Lo and behold, there it sat, in his garage. Other than rotors removed, it still looked ready to go. I asked him if it had been off the ground again and he said, " I brought it home on a trailer if that counts".

Thanks for the link custom 100.
I have a Gyrobee kit, I'm looking for the rotor and head assy.
If all works out I'll also own a single seat helicopter that
is 70% done.
I am waiting on the heli owners decision on what he's going to do.

Frank, flying machines that are built under the 103 rules
do not require a license or training or inspections.
They are limited in speed, wieght, fuel capacity and passangers.
They can be homebuilt or bought.

Having said that I would also add that flying any machine without
a professional airworthiness inspection and training is foolhardy.

There is alot more to flying than getting off the ground and
landing safley.

I hope you look into it and get invovled, it's fun and you'll love it.

Here's a link to what I'm building.

http://www.thegyrobee.com/

And a link to lots of info on rotorcraft of all kinds.

http://www.pra.org/

I have some seat time in a H2 lamps helo (illegal of course) and a Bell 212 (civ Huey). After 9-11 I didnt know if the rules had changed or not. I have Always enjoyed the thought of having a small helo to play with. I REALLY dont have the pockets for another hobby.
Frank

I have some seat time in a H2 lamps helo (illegal of course) and a Bell 212 (civ Huey). After 9-11 I didnt know if the rules had changed or not. I have Always enjoyed the thought of having a small helo to play with. I REALLY dont have the pockets for another hobby.
Frank

Me either, so I'm slowly gathering and trading for parts.
Its not been as hard as I thought it would be.
Sort of like building my car.
I probably should finish a project before I start another.
I always have 10 projects going on at once so I'm always
busy exploring and learning!

Well if I still lived in Ohio we might work together. I live in Newark (nerk) for 15 years. But I came back to the south 12 years ago.
Frank

-
Back