H pipes and o2 sensors

-

prostr340duster

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people are running H pipes and o2 sensors. A local muffler guy asked what do you want that for? He also said that the o2 sensor needed to be way down stream? I don't know. Thought I could get some input on this. Thanks

What is this in? Is your duster EFI? A truck?? I ran true duals on my dakota & had a X pipe. But it had the cats removed so the pre cat o2 sensor stays in place on the right pipe, but the post cat o2 sensor had to be moved to the left pipe in order to fool the cpu into thinking the cat is working. As long as the two get a different reading the cpu thinks everything is ok. & since the left bank never burns the same as the right bank, its all good.

Sorry I should have been more specific. Right now I run 2 1/2 to flowmasters and was going to put edelbrock air/fuel monitor in. It only has one sensor so I would imagine I need to put it in a h or x pipe.Has anyone else done this and did you use an h pipe or an x pipe? And how well did it work. Thanks

o2
Just wondering how many people are running H pipes and o2 sensors. A local muffler guy asked what do you want that for? He also said that the o2 sensor needed to be way down stream? I don't know. Thought I could get some input on this. Thanks

If the O2 sensor is not heated (three or 4 wire hook up) then it needs to be very close to the engine to ensure there is enough heat to make it work. With headers most folks put the O2 in the collector. You could also install one in each side and have switch that allows you to swap between the tow or wire them together and have an average reading.

definately pre-converter, to get the most accurate reading possible. If you tune it very well pre converter, then the converter clean the rest, it will be a very low emission output.
Does your area require the use of converter? If not, why keep them?

I am not in any way advocating a smoking billowy mess. My concerns is that even fine tuned carb applications are still "inefficient" in that they cannot read and evolve the tune like a fuel injected application can. Converters are good if the tune is spot on, and they will further clean the air. However, if the tune is not perfect, the converter will soon start to either break down(lean) or clog(rich), which will result in decrease in mileage, and decrease in engine efficiency, which is much more prolonged, and more damaging, emissions wise.
Carbs + Converters in the late 70's and early 80's was part of what gave converters bad names, as they were incredibly failure prone due to the inability of the carb to re-act and change the tune.
To me, the best I can do is have the carb'd vehicle with a sharp tune, and keep it well maintained, drive within reason.

If you have to keep converter, then by all means, keep going the direction you are heading, as it is the right thing to do. The air fuel gauge will help you keep it tuned up well, and the converters help clean the air for everyone.

I am not in any way advocating a smoking billowy mess.

LOL, ROFL, of course not, I know your not. OH MAN, thanks for the laff. That was good!

My concerns is that even fine tuned carb applications are still "inefficient" in that they cannot read and evolve the tune like a fuel injected application can. Converters are good if the tune is spot on, and they will further clean the air. However, if the tune is not perfect, the converter will soon start to either break down(lean) or clog(rich), which will result in decrease in mileage, and decrease in engine efficiency, which is much more prolonged, and more damaging, emissions wise.
Carbs + Converters in the late 70's and early 80's was part of what gave converters bad names, as they were incredibly failure prone due to the inability of the carb to re-act and change the tune.
To me, the best I can do is have the carb'd vehicle with a sharp tune, and keep it well maintained, drive within reason.

If you have to keep converter, then by all means, keep going the direction you are heading, as it is the right thing to do. The air fuel gauge will help you keep it tuned up well, and the converters help clean the air for everyone.

True, a tricky mess it is and as far as carbs go, someone once said something like, "There a evil device designed to confuse, confound and baffle you to death."
Or something like that.
DAMN! THAT ROTTEN EGG SMELL!!!!!!! DAMN IT TO HELL!!!!!!!

-
Back