H51 Police Interceptor 440?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
My cousin is pretty set on buying a very nice '72 Polara with a 440 in it. The guy selling the car showed us the fender tag and the 'H51' code saying that it meant the engine was an HP 440 c.i. "Police Interceptor" with factory Holley 4-bbl. What exactly did these engines have in them? Since it's a '72 the engine must be low compression, right? The engine is all stock with only 41k miles, and we're planning on just adding dual exhaust, Performer intake, DemonSizzler-tuned Thermo-Quad, and a good aftermarket ignition system to improve gas mileage and performance.

I figured you guys might wanna see this thing, so here goes... BUT DON'T BE GETTING ANY IDEAS lol!!

http://classiccars.com/116916.car

1602887.jpg

1602890.jpg

Did 'normal' 440s come from the factory with Holleys though? I'm pretty sure this one is original. That would explain the single exhaust though, didn't all HP 440-equipped cars come with dual exhaust?

Even if it is a regular 1972 440 what size cam, how much compression, and how good were the heads and exhaust manifolds that came stock on these?

Yep, it ain't no cop car.
Not coded as one by serial number. Cop car would start off as DK41.

No 140 mph certified speedo, 4 door hardtop, chrome wheels,etc, etc.

Nice Polara though.

Well the seller explained it as being a passenger car with the police engine but I guess he was wrong. When was the ThermoQuad phased in on 440s?

So I'm guessing the engine has '452' heads, right? Will I need to swap on a pair of heads with hardened valve seats for unleaded gas sometime, or do '72 big block heads already have them?

Well the seller explained it as being a passenger car with the police engine but I guess he was wrong. When was the ThermoQuad phased in on 440s?

So I'm guessing the engine has '452' heads, right? Will I need to swap on a pair of heads with hardened valve seats for unleaded gas sometime, or do '72 big block heads already have them?

You can not assume that just because it's a 72 440 it'll have the correct year heads which for 1972 were actually the 346 (smog head). To be sure pull both valve covers and check the casting numbers and yes if they are the 452's (introduced in 75/76) or 902's (1974) they will have the hardened exhaust seats.

I don't think you'd be wasting your money, Hell it's a mopar But seeing that the seller is trying to pull one over on you about the motor, and looks like rust is breaking out under that viniyle top I think it's a 1500 dollar car at the most,Thats if you can get in and drive it like it is I bought one like that 10 years ago for 150 dollars was a highway crusier drove it to work for ayear then a guy gave me 500 for it, He wanted the motor and trans

He wanted the motor and trans[/QUOTE]

That's what it's good for.

Wait a minute here... This car is all-original 41k miles, the interior is PRISTINE except for parts of the carpet (stained/moldy), even the rear defroster and dome lights work perfectly. There is slight rust underneath but no cancer that I could see, and the worst rust is on the lower quarter-panels (not surprising) which were actually injected with foam by the original owner in an attempt to stop it from spreading... I think I will still ask to get it up on a lift before we put down the cash. And there's no rust on the body, what happened was the vinyl top rotted badly so the current owner just ripped it all off. That's just minor surface rust on the top.

Even if it is rusting out underneath my cousin is buying this as a fun quasi-beater-type first car. If it gets bad he would probably part it out in a heartbeat and put the powerplant in a B- or E-body, but I honestly don't think this car is as bad as it might look in the pics.

Wait a minute here... This car is all-original 41k miles, the interior is PRISTINE except for parts of the carpet (stained/moldy), even the rear defroster and dome lights work perfectly. There is slight rust underneath but no cancer that I could see, and the worst rust is on the lower quarter-panels (not surprising) which were actually injected with foam by the original owner in an attempt to stop it from spreading... I think I will still ask to get it up on a lift before we put down the cash. And there's no rust on the body, what happened was the vinyl top rotted badly so the current owner just ripped it all off. That's just minor surface rust on the top.

Even if it is rusting out underneath my cousin is buying this as a fun quasi-beater-type first car. If it gets bad he would probably part it out in a heartbeat and put the powerplant in a B- or E-body, but I honestly don't think this car is as bad as it might look in the pics.

Also not a car you see often, either.

Mopekid, I think that the point that needs to be made is the seller is allready pulling your chain with the "police interceptor" title so what you need to be careful of is what else is he telling fibs about, the original mileage maybe. Either way if the price is right go buy it, and I can't get the link to work so I don't know the asking price. Hell I've always loved boat cruising.:-D

Mopekid, I think that the point that needs to be made is the seller is allready pulling your chain with the "police interceptor" title so what you need to be careful of is what else is he telling fibs about, the original mileage maybe. Either way if the price is right go buy it, and I can't get the link to work so I don't know the asking price. Hell I've always loved boat cruising.:-D

Asking price is $2500 firm. I don't think the guy selling it is trying to fool me, I think he just doesn't have a very good knowledge of mopars (owns a couple old IH trucks and SUVs). He's selling it for a friend who inherited this car along with 15 or so others from his deceased father; we're going to meet him when/if we go to get the paperwork done.

And '64 we're both 18... I was thinking of using it as a road trip car to Rothbury this summer, but that back seat would have other good uses too...LOL!

I've seen some underhanded stuff done with spray foam insulation. All the same, that's going to one fun and thirsty boat you're picking up. For sure, big back seat, big trunk.

Hey i'm not trying to knock it, I just think thats to much money for it, Hey if you like it thats all that matters, But i will say by looking at the motor see the sludge under the crankcase breather, signs the motor was cleaned, I bet 141000 is more like it, Just my 2 cents

I think Mopar called their engines " police pursuit " ...Interceptor is a Ford term.... Just to clarify... Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Cool car...I would drive it...

that is one ugly ****. it dont look like its in too bad of shape but i wouldnt pay more than 1200. even if it was a cop car. 2800 could get you something much cooler.

that is one ugly ****. it dont look like its in too bad of shape but i wouldnt pay more than 1200. even if it was a cop car. 2800 could get you something much cooler.

My cousin and I think it looks bad-***... I don't know of too many cars cooler than a 440-powered C-body that you can get for $2500, at least around here anyways. Pretty much any A-body in similar condition would go for the same amount or more, especially considering it would most likely be WITHOUT a hi-po engine. I've spent a lot of time on CO Craigslist.com and I wonder where these "better deals" are because I have yet to come across one... if anybody knows of better deals in Colorado please let me know.

Take a look at these interior shots (I know, not that great but they're my cousin's pictures) and tell me if this car has 41k miles or 141k...
19142_255706406011_591736011_3876159_6207839_n.jpg

19142_255706426011_591736011_3876161_2006540_n.jpg

19142_255706431011_591736011_3876162_7513329_n.jpg

you might not get a 440 powered a body for that price, but a small block a body with a 4 brl and dual exhaust will move just as well if not better than that boat with the 440.

I think as a donor car it's priced high. I like C barges... That one to me is NOT a donor/parts car and it is worth what he's asking. I'd show up with cash and see what kind of deal you can make. "firm" means he's weeding out tire kickers. Bring a wad of $50s and lay $2K on the hood for him.

-
Back