Hagerty insurance

-
I have had Hagerty for several years. No claims. The only negative is that the price continually goes up.

I switched from State Farm Classic insurance several years ago when a friend just completed his 34 Ford Pickup street Rod. He took it down to the local Perkins to have some coffee with a friend. While he was there someone backed into it and bent the little chrome bumper on the back. State Farm refused to pay because he wasn't attending an organized event, parade or club outing. He suggested I look at my policy and, sure enough, it stated that a car is only covered for organized events and it stated no daily or pleasure driving. I went down to my agent and asked about it and she said if I couldn't produce some flyer or event documentation my car would not be covered and the division office had recently sent documentation to all agents reinforcing the matter. I then checked with Hagerty and Grundy and went with Hagerty.

I have been with Haggerty for 10 years now. No claims and no issues. Price is reasonable compared to other companies for collector car insurance. Also enjoy reading their “Driver’s club magazine” that comes out every few months.
I have Hagerty for the duster and a 99 corvette and I am paying less for both cars than I was paying for the vette.
That magazine is costing you 45 dollars a year as part of the drivers club...

The main reason I left state farm and went to hagerty for my dart's ins is with SF if the car got hit and the repair was more than the value of the car they would total it and I would get scrap value for the car. Basically a couple thousand.

With hagerty if the car is totaled I get 15k and I get the car back.
I’ve often thought of making a move away from State Farm to a co. like Hagerty. But so far haven’t had the need. Tho Since it’s a daily driver I was told I prob couldn’t get classic car coverage.
My 63 Dart GT was hit last month. And SF has covered it, but it was only ~$3K for repair and replacement of a bumper, fender, and bezels.
But it just went in to the body shop. Hopefully few addendum will be needed.

Only thing I hate about Hagerty so far is the towing wait times. First time was maybe 4-5 miles from home… south side of Fort Worth… they sent a tow truck from the north side of Dallas…. What… you don’t have a tow truck nearer to me? No… because you pay the cheapest rate and throw it out there to see who picks up the bid. They don’t care how far away they are. We waited 3 hours.

Second time again south side of Fort Worth… 2 hours in I’m calling over and over to just give them grief because it hadn’t even been assigned yet. Then about 30 min later a flat bed shows up and I go to talk to the driver . He had no idea what I was talking about. He was just parked waiting for calls to come in. He wasn’t even from Hagerty. The place he worked for was literally across the highway from where I lived. He called his boss… the boss gave me a free tow. Couldn’t believe it. Called and cancelled the tow from Hagerty.

You will get towed… but it will be HOURS before they arrive.

Magazine is just meh for me cause I hardly read them. Mostly Chevy or ford it seems. And I’m into Packard and Mopar. Still a nice perk. Had my Packard in the short shifts section before they revamped it into bigger articles. Was just a blurb. Tried again recently with the dart…. Got no reply email.

Prices are decent enough…. But do go up. What isn’t right now though??? Except my pay. Never had a claim… so can’t speak to that.

I like the driveshare program…. But you don’t have to have Hagerty to use that…. And now they have sold the product to another ride share company. But it’s about the only classic ride share program that will provide really good insurance for the rental period. The customer service on that sucked… so now that it’s sold… maybe that will get better. They also just lowered the commission from 35% to 20%. I’m sure temporary.

Last edited:
I had Hagerty for 21 years on my 1966 Mustang convertible. No problems, I didn't have any claims. Over Memorial Day weekend, I started the car, kept it in park, and walked to the other side of my garage. When I turned around, the mustang had jumped into reverse and was quickly heading out the door, across the driveway and was stopped by a rather large tree. It was with enough force that not only was the back end heavily damaged, but the entire body/frame was twisted. the doors no longer lined up with the rear quarter panels, the convertible top no longer lined up with the windshield frame, etc.
I called Hagerty, sent pictures of all the damage that showed. They said totaled over the phone, but also said they were required to send an appraiser. This is when I learned how Hagerty works.
The Hagerty we know is just a front end. They advertise insurance, take payments, log claims, etc. Once you file a claim, they turn it over to a subsidary. The sub pays the claims, talks to the body shops, and hires the appraisers. BTW, all the appraisers are independents. Hagerty at this point will not talk to you, nor return any of your calls or emails.
Now in my situation, the appraiser came to my house, looked at the damage on the rear end of my mustang and said "all we have to do is replace a few panels and you can be back on the road in a couple of days." I then pointed out the body was twisted as evidenced by the doors/quarter misalignment, top out of alignment. His reply was "all of these old mustangs would get this way and Hagerty was not going to do a complete restoration job on my car." I told him, I didn't expect a complete restoration, just put my car back to the condition it was before the accident. Long story short, he only submitted the damage to the back end and ignored the rest. I recieved a check from the subsideary for less that half of what the body shops said it would take to fix my car. The body shop I took my car to, understood the situation, did a supplement for the job to fix everything caused by the accident. The shop was also doing weekly calls with the appraiser and the subsideary to get them to understand the full extent of the repairs needed. After a month of this, they agreed the damage was extensive enough to total the vehicle. During this entire time I was trying to get someone, anyone at Hagerty to listen to me but there was complete silence on their end. When the sub agreed the car was totaled, they informed Hagerty who then authorised the report and finally contacted me to inform me the car was totaled, the new amount they would pay and the paperwork I needed to sign off so they could take the car.
In my case, all the problems centered around the independant appraiser being a jerk. Once he came around, events happened the way they should have happened 6 weeks earlier. Hagerty's customer service during this time was crappy. If the car had been totaled for the beginning, I would be praising Hagerty right now, but since there was a glitch in the system, events didn't go smooth, several people spent needless time and effort to correct things, and I can't praise Hagerty for it.

the towing wait times.
My biggest fear. I have had AAA for over 40 years never used it myself. Heard stories about long wait times.
My friend's son, collage kid, got a chance to make a few bucks driving a ford exploder from Boston to Texas.
Out in the middle of nowhere of course the thing quits running. He knows nothing,scared shitless,calls dad and dad calls AAA.
He waited 34 hours for a tow.

So basically they all suck my sister broke down in a snowstorm and had triple A, they told her the conditions were too bad and they would not help her. I also had them at the time and immediately canceled.

My biggest fear. I have had AAA for over 40 years never used it myself. Heard stories about long wait times.
My friend's son, collage kid, got a chance to make a few bucks driving a ford exploder from Boston to Texas.
Out in the middle of nowhere of course the thing quits running. He knows nothing,scared shitless,calls dad and dad calls AAA.
He waited 34 hours for a tow.
Ahhhhhhh, the kid thought he could make a few ‘easy’ bucks by driving a car with unknown service history ~1,700 miles. Add in that he had zero car knowledge.

Clearly his ‘safety net’ was AAA which, anyone in the know, knows is not a solid backup plan.

Hopefully he’s learned a lesson and is no longer trying to make a buck being a long distance valet driver.

You guys got me thinking about this situation again as I currently have State Farm Classic and have wondered what would really happen if I were to have a claim. Unfortunately, I just copied and pasted the following from Hagerty's website. "** Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc."

I'll add, I don't drive my car daily and only on nice days. However, there were a couple of weeks this summer that I drove the car to work every day because it was nice every day. It sounds to me that would not be covered in my situation.

I'll add, I don't drive my car daily and only on nice days. However, there were a couple of weeks this summer that I drove the car to work every day because it was nice every day. It sounds to me that would not be covered in my situation.
you drive your car to work everyday because you need to stop at the local NAPA on the way home to pick up a part. You need the car to be with you because the young guy on the counter doesn't understand these old cars and sometimes you have to actually show him the application on the vehicle itself for him to get the right part. It's not your fault your boss won't let you go early enough to get to NAPA before they close so you have to try again tomorrow.

Now, that being said. When I used to work full time, there was (and still is) a cruise in every night of the week. By 5-5:30 these cruise in locations would be full. If I wanted to go my only 2 options were to were to have my car with me at work to drive straight there, or leave work early, drive home to get my car and go to the cruise in. So yeah, I can see for a couple of weeks during the summer to use my car for going to work.

-
Back