Half of block not firing

-
You seem to have a bad carburetor idle circuit. Your dead cylinders at idle are probably 1,4,6,7 or 2,3,5,8. Seen this many times with dual plane intakes and bad carbs. Easy test is spray starting fluid to the primaries one side at a time and see if the cylinders pick up on that side. If they do you'll know what side is not working.

As far as to large of a carb? I have a carter 750 on a stock 318. no idle issues at all. Actually very responsive when cold

You seem to have a bad carburetor idle circuit. Your dead cylinders at idle are probably 1,4,6,7 or 2,3,5,8. Seen this many times with dual plane intakes and bad carbs. Easy test is spray starting fluid to the primaries one side at a time and see if the cylinders pick up on that side. If they do you'll know what side is not working.

As far as to large of a carb? I have a carter 750 on a stock 318. no idle issues at all. Actually very responsive when cold
How do I go about fixing this carb issue?

You'll have to clean out the affected idle passage. Pull the carb, get a bunch of carb cleaner. The real question is, how did it happen? Did you install a new fuel filter when you installed the carb?

Books help:

Amazon product ASIN 1613250673

Sometimes you can get lucky. Get a snorkel can of carb cleaner and try blowing it in after removing the idle screws. Sometimes it helps to remove screw and hold your finger over the hole while running. And blow air pressure through it

On an AFB, if you are careful, it isn't a really big job to remove carb top "on the engine." Remove metering rods/ pistons/ springs first

Do a Google search, there are online breakdown diagrams of these carbs and I believe there is also a "manual."

You'll have to clean out the affected idle passage. Pull the carb, get a bunch of carb cleaner. The real question is, how did it happen? Did you install a new fuel filter when you installed the carb?

Books help:

Amazon product ASIN 1613250673
No it ran fine I took it off and laid it down on the affected side in the muffler then swapped the intake and put it back on after that it no longer worked.

At the start of this thread you stated the engine had a 2bbl intake with and adapter. The carburetor would not have had this symptom you are describing. The adapter was disbursing the fuel in all ports through the adapter even if one side was not working.

The same thing would happen if you would install a large square bore spacer on your duel plane 4bbl intake. all cylinders would run off one side of the carburetor. Because your intake that you have, Splits the ports one side operates 4 cyls. and the other side operates the other 4. If you would have a single plain on the engine you would not even notice the carb is not functioning on one side at idle, Besides there being power loss. all 8 would idle off one side

The PCV will not effect the engine if run off of the intake verses the carburetor base. Some Carburetors don't have a large base plate vacuum port and the only port would be the intake.

At the start of this thread you stated the engine had a 2bbl intake with and adapter. The carburetor would not have had this symptom you are describing. The adapter was disbursing the fuel in all ports through the adapter even if one side was not working.

The same thing would happen if you would install a large square bore spacer on your duel plane 4bbl intake. all cylinders would run off one side of the carburetor. Because your intake that you have, Splits the ports one side operates 4 cyls. and the other side operates the other 4. If you would have a single plain on the engine you would not even notice the carb is not functioning on one side at idle, Besides there being power loss. all 8 would idle off one side
This makes a lot of sense to me and could be my problem I will try to get the other side of the carb running.

These are the videos of it running and the whole time it was running the right side is not getting hot. I pulled each plug individually and all the plugs are firing.

-
Back