hard shift after having it in park.

-

chris_stevenson

Reaction score
Im not at all sure what is happening. i check the kickdown linkage and the shifter linkage and even double checked them to make sure that they were working and or where they should be. even disconnected the kickdown linkage to see if it was that and no still having this new issue. the issue is that when I put the car in park, then shift it to drive or even into 1st on my own. it goes but to a really high rpm before going into second then third. get this though, after it does that shifts fine but as soon as I put the car in park again it happens again. mind you I already checked the shifter linkage. the b&m megashifter. I dont think it is that or the kickdown. the fluid is where is should be also. before I take the car to a shop what could be causing this?

its really weird. park, reverse and neutral any time I put the car in any of those after it gets to temp its like a build up rpms get high then release then it will shift fine untill I put the car into park, reverse or neutral.

I think it might be the governor valve sticking. which Ive read on here is common even for rebuilt trans. any one here know how to clean up that?

drain fluid, pull tail shaft housing off. it's right there on the output shaft. it's held in be internal "C" clips, remove everything, inspect, clean the things and reinstall.

i got in touch with the builder of the trans and he thought it was the valve body. the valve body was swaped and im still having the same problem. 1st gear hang up for a long while then releases and will shift find untill I put the car into p-r-n. im going to be calling him back next their open. what should I do? if I have to take the trans out it wont be cost effective to ship it when I can just go to Redlands for 400 more and get another trans. freight shipping is 300.

what am I looking for? John cope the guy who built it hasnt asked if I would check the front band. am I looking to see if the front band is too tight? or too lose?

what am I looking for? John cope the guy who built it hasnt asked if I would check the front band. am I looking to see if the front band is too tight? or too lose?

Either. You check the adjustment to make sure it's correct. Usually you'll find them too lose do to wear. I know it's a new trans. but I have ran into a few cases where the front band wears some right away and you have to readjust it then it's good for a long time. Apparently in those cases it's "breaking in" and once broke in is fine. If you don't know how to adjust the bands search YouTube for "torqueflite band adjustment" and you'll find several video's showing how to check it.

checked that and the band is fine. is there anyway that any of the clutch's has failed? its sticking in second gear now then releasing. I can down shift on my own fine to first gear but it'll be stick in second then release and shift normal untill I stop and out the car into p-r-n again. is there any chance its any of the clutch's or the governor weights sticking?

well I guess it doesnt matter. theres a local shop in redlands I can just walk in and get a trans. http://www.bobmazzoliniracing.com/shop#!/~/product/category=5915055&id=25304377
that will just be easier then to deal with someone back east. sucks that you people suggested this person to buy from back east but im just gonna cut my lose and get local. shipping at 345 isnt worth it to me when just 410 more I could have a trans. I shouldnt have spent my money there at johns 1045 gone but whatever. live and learn a little.

Don't know why but I just got notified there were more posts here.

Yes it's possible the governor is sticking.

So you called John and he said to ship it back after he sent you a valve body to try? Dealing with someone out of town does make it difficult but it seems like he's trying to make it right and $345 to send it back for repair is a whole lot less money than $755 for another transmission when you have a new transmission. I realize it isn't working right at the moment but I'm sure if repaired by Cope it'd be right.

I agree it does suck when something like this happens. I wish I wouldn't have been involved in recommending anyone to you but that's how it goes here. You asked who we'd recommend and when we did we're the bad guy. I also don't understand the mentality of spending over twice as much for a different transmission when it sounds like John is trying to make it right. He doesn't sell junkyard transmissions but you have to realize we live in an imperfect world where unfortunate things can happen, such as the 1 in a thousand transmissions that don't work right after being rebuilt.

Again, I'm sorry I got involved in recommending someone to you. Good luck getting it sorted out.

I never said he sells junkyard stuff. i just feel like after only being able to drive my one and only car I own for two months and then it doesnt work right anymore is beyond me. ive been having to borrow a car from my parents. I have two car shows I paid for that are happening in weeks. I dont have time to be shipping it back. wait for it to get there. then wait for him to get to it. fix it. then ship it back. I realize I asked people on here hey who can I buy from but u live one state over. IL is like an hour drive from my sisters house in IN. so I find it easier to deal with someone close by now that I find someone after asking mopar people here in socal. bob mazzolini is the guy i took it too and guess what. the clutchs are fried, which is why it starts sticking in second gear after getting warm. I have nothing againest john at CRT racing but I am gonna be asking for a partial refund.

-
Back