Hard shift into second

-

moparwedden

Reaction score
Under normal driving conditions and low rpm it shifts fine, but under a hard launch it will not go into second until rpm 's comes down. checked the shifter and all is fine, had the rods out and tweaked them a bit. Still no change, What could be the problem.

833od, 440, 72 duster. Center Force Dual Friction Clutch.

Possibly a bent fork?

LOL, how ironic. Memorial day weekend, 1973 I had JUST broken a 3 - 4 shift fork in my 440-6 '70 RR just in time to spend the whole weekend driving around in 1 and 2.

So 40 years ago this weekend, I was "stuck" at NAS Miramar on a holiday weekend

81sruds.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_6201cs.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 298
As the rpm's go up the o/d trans will get harder to shift because the 3.09 first gear is spinning faster then the sycro can slow it down for the 1.67 second gear. Same problem with early A 3.09 first gear trans with 1.92 second. Try getting on and off the throttle as fast as you are hitting the clutch pedal and see what happens.

As the rpm's go up the o/d trans will get harder to shift because the 3.09 first gear is spinning faster then the sycro can slow it down for the 1.67 second gear. Same problem with early A 3.09 first gear trans with 1.92 second. Try getting on and off the throttle as fast as you are hitting the clutch pedal and see what happens.

So I will not be able to shift while under full throttle then? I will try this next trip down the track, thanks.

Had the same problem with my OD, I put the Passon slick shifts in. Took it out today for the first time, ripped off a couple 1-2 shifts, right foot flat on the floor. Perfect. We shall see how it works out on the strip.

These od trans are great drivers but they blow on the drag strip

worn syncros in the tranny, is my guess.

Nailed it.
The syncros are no longer of sufficient surface to slow second gear down enough for engagement.
The shift fork could be next if trying to force it to do it anyway.

Nailed it.
The syncros are no longer of sufficient surface to slow second gear down enough for engagement.
The shift fork could be next if trying to force it to do it anyway.

I agree with the syncros. First thing I looked at when I disassembled mine. They were like brand new as the trans was supposedly gone through by the prevoius owner. I was hoping to find worn out ones but not the case.

Another thing is to make sure the clutch is releasing all the way. This might call for an engine strap so the twist of the engines doesn't effect the clutch linkage.

Was Talking to Wayne today from Brewer's. he told me the same thing you did, so either start letting off the go pedal or look for a regular 4 speed, love me OD for the street but would like to see what the car will do down the strip, Decisions, Decisions?

Thanks just glad it isn't broke.

-
Back