hardline vs softline

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
just wondering what everyone thinks. i heard that hardlines flow better but im not sure if its noticeable better. what have you guys used on your cars?

For what? Fuel?

Hard line as much as you can for safety (and track rules). Flow variation isn't something you would ever see from one to the other unless you make sharp bends with rubber lines. Rubber lines can pinch off easy if you make sharp bends.

Many newer cars use a semi rigid plastic line (but high pressure) and what looks like shrinkwrap fittings. I doubt flow variations would be measurable, use what is safe: rigid to the engine bay and minimal flex to the pump, then hard line to the carb.

ok yea i was meaning feul line but i didnt mean rubber cause if i rember correct the NHRA only allows you to have 12" in your feul system max, i meant like the braided steel feul lines i think the core is ptfe thats usually allowed and tracks/drag strips from what i know and i was leaning that was

Mine is 1/2" aluminum from fuel cell to regulator, then Russel push-loc hose from the regulator to the carb.

I'm not very enthused about plastic, either, even all the new stuff uses it, including plastic tanks

Been running nylon tube for the main length of the supply line on the Valiant for over a year. Install was considerably simpler than any of the metal tube installs that I've done in the past. In some instances I think that it is a better choice than metal, but it does come with a different set of concerns and install requirements.

The key important thing, I think, about using it is secure and robust connections. Pushing a piece of hose over it and tightening down a hose clamp on that isn't the answer. I used Wash-Down type Push-to-Connect tube fittings (from mcmaster.com) screwed into NPT Bulkhead fittings that were placed in brackets bolted to the car. From there I went with Push-Lok AN hose ends, but could just as easily go with hose barbs and clamps if so inclined or Braided AN stuff.

-
Back