Harmonic Balancer for 68 Dart 340 eng

-

ronw

Reaction score
Having trouble finding a balancer. I got one from summit (Sum-163273) When compared to the original, the TDC cut was on the wrong side(drivers side). On talking to the tech at summit we ordered the Mopar Direction balancer (DCC-4452816). The TDC cut is the same as Summit drivers side). The 68 340's timing indicator is on the passenger side because of the water pump neck on the drivers side. One solution I think is to remark the balancer at TDC. I'm asking if there is a correct Harmonic balancer? I'm sure someone has had this problem. Ron

BHJ Dynamics has what you are looking for. Part number MP-IB-816-CAN, for the 69 and earlier smallblocks. This is the same place that makes the honing-torque plates for engines

I am goi
Having trouble finding a balancer. I got one from summit (Sum-163273) When compared to the original, the TDC cut was on the wrong side(drivers side). On talking to the tech at summit we ordered the Mopar Direction balancer (DCC-4452816). The TDC cut is the same as Summit drivers side). The 68 340's timing indicator is on the passenger side because of the water pump neck on the drivers side. One solution I think is to remark the balancer at TDC. I'm asking if there is a correct Harmonic balancer? I'm sure someone has had this problem. Ron
I am going thru the same thing.
What I have found is the later model LA SB engines had driver side timing pointers on the timing chain cover, the earlier engine say 68 and 69 had passenger side pointers. I sourced a used SFI balancer and used a Mopar Performance stick on tape to correct the marks. I prefer to use the tape in any case because of all the tolerance stack up the marks are sometimes off considerable.

Yep the timing marks moved to the driver's side on 70 and later. I am not aware of any dampers with the marks on the passenger side. Timing tape is a very good solution.

But be aware that different dampers can have different outer diameters so you have to measure the damper diameter and get a tape closest to that diameter. We ended up with a big block Chevy tape for our Pioneer SBM damper.

Yep the timing marks moved to the driver's side on 70 and later. I am not aware of any dampers with the marks on the passenger side. Timing tape is a very good solution.

But be aware that different dampers can have different outer diameters so you have to measure the damper diameter and get a tape closest to that diameter. We ended up with a big block Chevy tape for our Pioneer SBM damper.
Thank you all. Merry Christmas

I’ve used the 273 timing Tab whenever this situation has come up.

Jake

-
Back