Harmonic balancer help

-

trapster

Reaction score
I have this fluid type harmonic balancer and I am pretty sure it wont work with my pulleys. should I just get a different one? or are there pulleys out there for this.
20160418_232959.jpg
20160418_233045.jpg
20160418_233148.jpg
20160418_233159.jpg

Yeah, thats the old CAT fluid damper, Version 1.0. I had that one to at one time and ended up just shimming both other pulleys, alt and water pump. I think I took the alt pulley off and pressed it on backwards to line up the belt and used a few washers behind the water pump pulley. Nothing major. There newer "2.0" had a recessed pulley face to align the belts with no mods. Guys knock CAT, but these dampers looked pretty good to me. Built like tanks.

You can use it with the correct pullies.

I would use that damper and correct pulley alignment long before I put a rubber band damper on it. You already have it. I had to correct my pulley alignment. It isn't hard.

So I think you are saying move the alternator, water pump and power steering out 9/16" to line up with the new position of the drive pulley ?

So I think you are saying move the alternator, water pump and power steering out 9/16" to line up with the new position of the drive pulley ?

Yes. I'd have to go measure mine but don't think it was 9/16 but maybe.

You can buy a spacer for under the WP pulley and then all you have to do it space out the alternator and PS pump.

I guess if your not handy with stuff it may be easier to buy a different damper. I have seen enough damage that I won't run ANY elastomer damper any more and I don't care what the PS guys are doing, because they ain't buying off the shelf stuff.

-
Back