Harmonic balancer help

-

second chance dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, I dont post much, but now I need some advice. I think my harmonic balancer has slipped and need to know what my best option is. It's a late 72 340 with cast crank and externally balanced motor. Not a real easy part to find! Is there another balancer I could use such as a 360 ext. balanced one or maybe an aftermarket one that wont break the bank? Thanks for the help.

Does the balancer come with a 360 weight as well as a smaller 340 weight for use with the respective externally balanced cranks?

There is no "extra" weight in the box. Only the one bolted to the balancer.
Now your getting me worried. You would think if Mancini says it will fit, it would. Maybe I should call them in the morning.

they should be a part number on the weight...it is stamp in ink i believe...

each weight has it own part number...

the 340 cast crank weight pn is 91014

Their ad says "318-360", but it doesn't elaborate.
Needless to say, one size doesn't fit all.

I just got off the phone with Wes 5 minutes ago. After voicing my concerns he assures me that this particular balancer (part number 24278 ) is the same for an externally balanced smallblock. Whether it be 340 or 360. As he owns an externally balanced 340 himself, he was familiar with it.

I am not saying that Ma Mopar didn't have different balancers or different weights. Just that Wes says "this one" will fit both.

I'm really surprised, no, actually shocked! Of course it will "fit both". But no way, no how will the balance be correct if it does not have the proper counterweight for the proper application. The difference is significant enough for B&M to make specific counterweighted flexplates for the externally balanced 340 and 360!

But I am open to hearing how this can be possible.

It'll be interesting to hear what happens, but that doesn't make any sense.

The cast 340 and 360 have different amounts of weight balance.

Here's what the Pro Products balancer says about theirs:

"This damper is supplied as a neutral balance damper and comes with three bolt-in counterweights. This allows this one part number to fit four different small block Chrysler engines. The damper without any weight fits internally balanced 1967 and later 318 V8's standard and Magnum, and all internally balanced 273 and 340 engines with forged cranks. One weight is for 340 externally balanced 1972-’73 engines with a cast crank. A different weight is for 360 externally balanced 1993-’97 engines with a cast crank. And the third weight is for 360 externally balanced 1971-’92 engines with a cast crank. Each counterweight is numbered, and the instructions guide you which weight to use for each style of engine."

Seems fishy to me.

Only rational explaination would be that the seperate counterweights got lost.

I don't know what to say. On this particular topic, I have to rely on people who know what they are doing to guide me. I would think that Wes at Mancini would be one of those people.

Please give him a call and discuss it.
I would really like to be 100% certain about this.

i have one of the professional product balancers..

there should be 3 weights in the box....there is a big difference between the 340 cast crank and 360 cast crank weights...

i will post ya a pic this afternoon...

I got in touch with the manufacturers engineer Ed Lions. They were very helpful and gave me his cell number because he was at a car show in Florida.
Locomotion, you are correct and I thank you for saying something about it.
This will fit all smallblocks EXCEPT the external balanced 340 because it has a different size weight (which this company doesn't make) just like you said.

I called Wes at Mancini to explain the situation to him and he was extremely apologetic.

Thanks man, you saved me some huge and expensive hassles down the road and kept me from passing on some incorrect information.

On a good note, I have a 360 sitting in the corner and I can use it on that.:-D

That's the nice thing about these forums. There is a wealth of info among the members and someone is bound to notice an "inconsistency". People sometimes worry about asking what they term as "dumb questions", but it's better than making a mistake, and someone else can potentially learn from it too. Wes obviously made an honest mistake, which we are all capable of. But with a future 360 project, I guess it didn't turn out too bad! Glad to have helped.

340 Dart
I have a good balancer for a cast crank 340 if your interested. $25 plus shipping, which shouldn't be too bad via Canada post/USPS.
PM me if interested.

the cast crank 340 takes a specific balancer from the factory.....Period 360 balancers will not work properly so make sure

I was just on there and didn't see that. Thanks for the help. Ordering it now.

Justin

Yea but when i searched summits thing it didnt come up only some that were $200 plus so maybe i had something in the search criteria that threw it off.

-
Back