Harmonic balancer removal …both or one at a time?

-

69moredoor

Reaction score
Tried to remove my balancer/pulleys. Center bolt removed along with three smaller bolts holding front pulley to balancer
Tried to remove it as a unit but nope..
Use a 3 jaw puller on the front one then a regular balancer puller on the balancer?
541CC00B-BF3D-43D1-AD88-DC5952497249.jpeg

I'd suggest you separate them now while the pulley is held in place , as opposed to on a vice. If you're not going to reuse them pull them as an assembly.

Not reusing
The blue circled are ends of bolts from the rear towards front. I can see the bolt heads from the rear. It’s a 1980 engine if that helps

Sorry for the triple pic
Here’s the bearing for a penance
834FC55D-B373-4DE4-BC2B-C817C632E9ED.jpeg

I assume there was a threaded bolt in the middle. A balancer puller should do it. I believe......

The three bolts on the front hold that front pulley on. It's just stuck. Spray some penetrating oil between it and the balancer and tap on it with a hammer. It'll fall off. You need a balancer puller to get the balancer off and then the rear pulley bolts on from the back.

Last edited:
As Rusty said, that front pulley should just knock off now. The center pulley is the crank damper. The most inward pulley is for AC and bolts to the aft side of the damper, which are the 3 bolt ends which you see. It has a large ID hole to clear the snout of the timing cover. Don't use a 3-jaw puller on the outer pulley of the damper or you will shear it off since just secured with a rubber band. You need a special damper puller/installer kit which grabs the 3 tapped holes which the outer pulley used. You can buy universal ones on Amazon w/ threads for SAE and metric. A steering wheel puller might work, but probably not beefy enough.

-
Back