Harmonic balancer repair sleeve any good?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
Has anyone used the repair sleeve for their 360 harmonic balancer? I don't feel like dropping another $100 for new balancer, so I thought I'd consider this $8 repair sleeve that seems to be widely available.

The rubber seal on my balancer looks good. However the crank sealing surface where it goes thru the timing cover is badly worn.

Is the repair sleeve a good option for a tightwad like myself? Thanks -

Never used on a car but they work good on industrial gear boxes.

Hint: Rest it on a heated 60w light bulb before dropping it on.

Work great,used one on one of my old hemi's balancer five years later still great.

Never used on a car but they work good on industrial gear boxes.

Hint: Rest it on a heated 60w light bulb before dropping it on.

Great hint!
Sticking the balancer in the freezer for a while, makes it even easier after the bulb trick.

Speedi sleeves are great.

Great, thanks for the tips guys! I'll use the freezer trick too.

PS - I don't need to buy an oversize front timing cover seal do I? (to match the sleeve size?)

no .no over sized seal needed i put some lock tight on mine an just knock them on with a block of wood an a hammer ... they work an dont where out ... surprising that a piece of rubber can wear out steel ....have a good one

Thats exactly what I was thinking yesterday Dartman: How the hell does this seal do this kind of grooving to metal? Crazy.

But thanks again for the info, Cheers!

I used a sleeve kit on my mothers 350 chevelle. Stopped leaking and never leaked again. I used some locktite when installing.

-
Back