harmonic balancer

-
I would think that will work just fine, check to make sure the timing marks line up the same

I don't think so. A 66 273 should have a forged crank and a 69 318 should have a cast iron crank. I believe that the balance is different.

Try to keep cast cranks with cast crank dampers and forged cranks with forged dampers.

Both are neutrally balanced,just check that the timing marks are the same

Both are neutrally balanced,just check that the timing marks are the same
Yep.
Later externally balanced engines will have a counter weighted balancer and will not work. The balancer from any neutral balance LA should work just fine as far as balance goes. The timing marks may be different , but that problem can be overcome with a little creativity.

Yep.
Later externally balanced engines will have a counter weighted balancer and will not work. The balancer from any neutral balance LA should work just fine as far as balance goes. The timing marks may be different , but that problem can be overcome with a little creativity.

That's not true. No 318 was ever externally balanced. The balancers will interchange just fine and work. The timing marks may be different as already indicated.

Thanks for the replies... I was just curious because I used the 273 balancer so the timing marks would be correct.. But the engine seems to have a vibration at higher rpms..

A slight vibration at some rpm is somewhat typical. It can come from belts, pulleys, other. A serious vibration comes from balancers, converters, pressure plates, other.

-
Back