Harmonic balancer

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I'll be getting balancer back this week after getting a sleeve put on and wondering how to tighten it up with out engine turning over? I do have air gun, that's how I was able to remove it. Do I need to pull starter or inspection cover for torque converter and shove a 2 X 4 in there? :prayer:

Attachments

• IMG_20160103_113610528.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 276
Sometimes I forget how easy a 4 speed makes things.
sometimes you can borrow (with deposit) one time use tools like that from a local parts store.

After you install the damper you still need to hold the engine so you can get it torqued. I made a wrench that bolts the damper using the pulley bolts and a 3' handle so I can hold the engine and torque the damper bolt.

Just went through this 2 weeks ago. First, rent the tool at Autozone. OEM brand and I would have wrecked the threads if I tried to impact my new one on. It was tight.

Here is the tool I made to hold the balancer. It is a bit over the top but I just felt like welding. Traced the pulley onto the metal and cut it out. marked and drilled holes. Rebar on the end sits on top of or beneath the K frame.

Attachments

• 20160103_194235.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 20160103_194251.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 267
I made an adjustable y-shaped tool using flat stock and a bolt. I drilled the ends of the arms to allow using bolts to attach the tool flush to the dampener.

use to stick a " big " screwdriver in the teeth on the convertor, that would bind up against the trans housing. never had a problem w/ doing it that way.

Would it stay in place on it's own? I've had a buddy do that while I loosen or tightened a balancer but I've never tried jamming it in there and doing it by myself

BTW: the main reason I posted "X1000" to AJ's response is because an impact should never ever be used to pull a balancer on.

Maybe one of you guys needs to design a stop that bolts across the starter mounting holes that uses the flywheel teeth.

I have used a 1/2 pipe to sit on a converter bolt head with the other end over the head of a pan bolt before and it worked fine.
Have also put a big screwdriver between the ring gear and starter opening up on edge so it jammed there.
Both worked for what I needed.

They make a tool that doesnt require bolting on to anything, spring loaded and wont slip. The other tool in pic is damper install tool. If you hold damper by bolts while tightening down, it is hard in crank key as it puts it in a bind before its fully tightened while correct tool will pull it on without rotational torque load.
And yes, I know, you can use a crowbar and a brick and its been working fine for 12 years, just showing whats actually available for those that care to do it with tools designed for the job. You can rent both at parts stores if you dont have $100 for the pair from a tool truck.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 175
They make a tool that doesnt require bolting on to anything, spring loaded and wont slip. The other tool in pic is damper install tool. If you hold damper by bolts while tightening down, it is hard in crank key as it puts it in a bind before its fully tightened while correct tool will pull it on without rotational torque load.
And yes, I know, you can use a crowbar and a brick and its been working fine for 12 years, just showing whats actually available for those that care to do it with tools designed for the job. You can rent both at parts stores if you dont have $100 for the pair from a tool truck.
and here is a picture of what happened in post #3 and #4.
Personally I put my four-speed in reverse (so I don't run myself over! :D ) and block the tires... :burnout:

Magnummopar, that tool will work great on a flywheel, but I don't see how it could be used on an automatic unless the bottom of the housing is cut back.

Magnummopar, that tool will work great on a flywheel, but I don't see how it could be used on an automatic unless the bottom of the housing is cut back.

obviously, but I didnt have a pic of the auto one in my lap top last night. The point was the damper installer as that matters much more than what you hold flex plate or flywheel with.

I will try to take pic of auto holder tool if anybody gives a crap.

Understood, my home made installer works like the bought ones. I only have to use my home made wrench to hold the engine when I torque the damper bolt.

Go to any parts store and borrow their Harmonic balancer installer tool! very easy to use. I got a loan a tool from autozone and installed my balancer. DO NOT USE YOUR BOLT TO DRIVE ON THE BALANCER WITH A IMPACT!

I'm going through this right now. I did try the impact and, no it doesnt work. The bolt spun out twice. Gonna run a thread tracer before I do it with the installation tool. I will have a buddy hold the converter while I tighten or vice versa. Yes I did it the wrong way but, that's how we used to do it. I didn't even know there was a tool for installing the damper.

obviously, but I didnt have a pic of the auto one in my lap top last night. The point was the damper installer as that matters much more than what you hold flex plate or flywheel with.

I will try to take pic of auto holder tool if anybody gives a crap.

I give a crap!

-
Back