harmonic balancer

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
How to remove from a motor that has been removed from the car. Wanting to replace the timing chain while the motor is out for a new coat of paint.

Use your balancer (steering wheel) puller after removing the balancer bolt. You could also loosely thread the bolt in 4 or 5 turns and push against it with the puller's center screw

There must be a way to use the flywheel or something to stop the engine from turning over.

Impact wrench to get it off worked for me when mine was out. 1" 1/4 socket.

I have the Socket, a breaker bar, but not an impact wrench.

If the person who installed it used what the book called for something like 110/125foot pounds, best of luck with that.........

It took me having the engine out, a socket adapter tuning through the flexplate and a huge hammer to get mine off.

Jake

I tried that. Seems like the last engine I did was a small block Chevy, 35 years ago, I was able to put a bar through a hole in the flywheel to keep the motor from turning. I've quit for today.
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks Jake, my help will be here at 7 in the morning and we will tackle it

standard-leave flywheel on. auto-have converter bolted to flexplate. have helper stop rotation by useing a big screwdriver or lugwrench to stop rotation by leaning lever against a dowel pin. hit breaker bar with a hammer

Get tension on breaker bar and hit with hammer. PITA I've done it once or twice that way.
Can ya prop anything under flexplate? Block of wood?

I'm not sure, the engine is out of the car. Thanks for the suggestion

Get a compressor and impact.

If you have no plans to get either, Hot Wheels sells some nice cars.

You can always see if your local parts store has electric impact wrenches in their loan a tool program. Harbor freight has electric ones for under $50. ( if you don't have a compressor, seems like money well spent ) I have a Hilti battery one ( I know a little pricey ) but it's worth every penny when I need to use it in the yard.

Desperate folks do desperate deeds.
MacGyver approach. Two longer bolts attached to the crank flange and an old bumper jack should do it. An old rod cap and long bolts can pull a balancer off.

-
Back