Harmonic balancer

-
I mean you needed the balancer when you degreed the camshaft. You would have found the error then and remarked the balancer.

No, you cannot just arbitrarily remark the balancer. You need to find true TDC with a piston stop first. Then you will have a correct reference to make a new mark.

Never in my life have I had a balancer on when degreeing a camshaft , always checked it for true at top dead center afterward tho-----------??
Most of the time I have an 18 time national record holder check my work !~

I am looking for some help and guidance. I am working on my 1972 Plymouth Scamp. It originally came with a 318, it now has a 360 block from 1976 assuming I read the numbers correctly. This is the balancer that I took off this morning. I am trying to figure out if this is an internal or external balanced dampner? I have read that all 360's are external balanced. I have a 727 3 speed transmission, the previous owner did not know anything about the car.

Balancer Front Side.jpg

Balancer back side.jpg

I am looking for some help and guidance. I am working on my 1972 Plymouth Scamp. It originally came with a 318, it now has a 360 block from 1976 assuming I read the numbers correctly. This is the balancer that I took off this morning. I am trying to figure out if this is an internal or external balanced dampner? I have read that all 360's are external balanced. I have a 727 3 speed transmission, the previous owner did not know anything about the car.

View attachment 1715766754

View attachment 1715766755
That was an internal balanced damper that is now external balanced by all the holes that are drilled into it. The drilling removed weight from it. Kim

You still need the degree wheel to degree the cam. At the same this will verify if the tdc notch on the damper is correct. A stop will also be needed.
HOW? No way to degree cam with damper in place at least if you are wanting to easily see the dots on the timing gears and be able to pull off/reinstall the chain/gears easily to replace woodruff keys etc with offset ones. You will only wear out your damper puller tool.... I have a socket that slides on the crank and locates off the crank key, and the degree wheel mounts onto that socket.

-
Back