Harmonic damper

-
Im curious as well... need one for a stroker that wont see much over 6900 rpm and not very often... Balancers seem to be a mystery shrouded in some BS... hard to tell which is which..

Im curious as well... need one for a stroker that wont see much over 6900 rpm and not very often... Balancers seem to be a mystery shrouded in some BS... hard to tell which is which..
I can offer a fairly simple explanation on crankshaft dampers. Dampers are tuned to resonance frequency of the crank system. Rubber dampers are tuned to that specific frequency. Viscous dampers are not specifically tuned to a frequency. They function over a frequency range. The frequency range is determined by the viscosity of the silicone fluid in the damper. Since many of us increase the performance of our engines, we change the crank system resonance frequency. Many people choose to use a rubber damper without issue. Others prefer the viscous dampers (usually HHP builds). Hope this helps !

I've been using this Pioneer SFI damper/balancer on my internally balanced 360's for years.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-872037/overview/make/dodge
This Pioneer didn't show up on my Summit search.....Wonder why.
Looks like the jackpot for me. Nice price.....I think I've heard good things about Pioneer. Is this the Aussie company?

Trick Flow shows one that looks good but est ship date was like a month away. Hope to be done on the dyno by then.

Only my opinion, but I won't run fluid, gel, or bb's in my damper. I know everyone runs them but I just can't. It's like liver and onions to me.....nope. Never. Not even for free.

Pioneer supplies a lot of bits, to machine shops etc and all over, freeze plugs, oil plugs, balancers , they box lifters or did, they make tons if stuff.
I run their balancer.

I've had 2 pioneers slip the rings over the years (used probably 8-9 until the failures). One slipped and it wasn't a big deal - owner replaced - I only found out after I asked him about any issues with it. The 2nd one slipped into the timing cover. By the time it wore through the timing cover causing a noticeable oil leak, it had already trashed the thrust bearing, and the crank's thrust surface - ruining the crank among other things. That was in a 300 mile stroker engine.
I won't use the stock replacement Pioneer any more. I'll pay $200 more to have something tested and certified rather than risk thousands. Paying for the SFI tagged version is worth every penny, and I am also a not a fluidamper fan.

With the Pioneer, any issues with pulley alignnment?

Hopefully someone else can comment on the pulley alignment with the Pioneer SFI damper. I have only run them on my race car with an electric water pump and an aftermarket pulley/alternator set-up.

I would think that Summit could find out for you or contact Pioneer directly with the specific part number. I can't think of a good reason why all of the OEM specs couldn't have been designed into it. But it's best to make sure.

With the Pioneer, any issues with pulley alignnment?
Pulley alignment is same as the stock one. I always take a sharpie and draw a line across the front of the balancer so that in the future I spot any slippage....14 year's later, none.
PS I did throw it on the balancer and it took about an 1/8 or just the tip of a 9/16 drill bit to get it perfect. I ran it on 2 340's and now a a solid roller 410 in the mid 500's , but it really doesn't matter what cid you run it on if there are all kinds of funky harmonics going on. Highest I ever turned it was 7300 rpm.

Last edited:
I've had 2 pioneers slip the rings over the years (used probably 8-9 until the failures). One slipped and it wasn't a big deal - owner replaced - I only found out after I asked him about any issues with it. The 2nd one slipped into the timing cover. By the time it wore through the timing cover causing a noticeable oil leak, it had already trashed the thrust bearing, and the crank's thrust surface - ruining the crank among other things. That was in a 300 mile stroker engine.
I won't use the stock replacement Pioneer any more. I'll pay $200 more to have something tested and certified rather than risk thousands. Paying for the SFI tagged version is worth every penny, and I am also a not a fluidamper fan.[/QUOTEWere those Pioneers that failed the SFI rated ones?

No. They were the factory replacement style ones. I only use SFI ones now. It's my hope that the certification process will weed out the problem children..

Hey thanks, guys. Ordered the Pioneer 10 minutes ago. Got to get off my butt. Intake needs ported.....waiting for my rocker shaft setup from B3.....
Seems like all the little, final stuff always slows me down. March is coming soon. Next thing you know it's summer.

Hey thanks, guys. Ordered the Pioneer 10 minutes ago. Got to get off my butt. Intake needs ported.....waiting for my rocker shaft setup from B3.....
Seems like all the little, final stuff always slows me down. March is coming soon. Next thing you know it's summer.

The kit from B3 is worth every red cent and then some. Glad you spent the money to get the geometry dead Nutz.

The kit from B3 is worth every red cent and then some. Glad you spent the money to get the geometry dead Nutz.
Only way to go. I think anybody trying to make power....or even help your stuff survive, should read Mike's stuff.
I believe he said he was gonna machine mine Friday, so hoping to see it soon. He really is a good guy. Emailed me within a few hours of me getting him all my measurements.

Only way to go. I think anybody trying to make power....or even help your stuff survive, should read Mike's stuff.
I believe he said he was gonna machine mine Friday, so hoping to see it soon. He really is a good guy. Emailed me within a few hours of me getting him all my measurements.
I didn`t read all these posts, but why don`t you look at "440 source" website/ they have an sfi approved fluid damper. got one on my 505, only thing I don't like about it is they are chrome, black shows the markings up better.

-
Back