harness plug getting hot

-

tom340

Reaction score
Just completed a few items over the winter, had the gauge cluster out and replaced the circuit boards (rallye dash) and added the LED lights. The LEDS work nicely by the way. Had to wait for a new fuel gauge voltage limiter (solid state) which was the holdup. (BTW positive we hooked up correctly-came with instructions and pic from G-Car) Anyhow, everything back together, and before we reinstalled the gauge cluster permanent we checked all the lights, directionals, hi beam ind. etc.. The fuel gauge also worked so we buttoned her up. Later this afternoon I took it out for a ride and noticed the fuel gauge was NOT working immedietly. (This SOB has been a gremlin since day 1.) I tried to play around with the ground under the dash connected to the column, checked the harness plugins (ignition harness off the column) to be sure we were still together. This is when I noticed one of the harness plugs was pretty hot while the car was running. Shut the car off, and it cools off quickly. Gauge still not working.

Just want to add the gauge had been working fine for 2 yrs. New tank-sender unit etc.. Nothing has changed there, only thing we did all winter was drop the column and pull the gauge cluster out. Any ideas why the connections get so hot?? Thinking about abandoning the factory gauge and going aftermarket if they make one for our sending units.

I was just down in the garage again checking the connections. One thing MIGHT be an issue, maybee not. To align the steering column (centerd) in the collar we used shims we made from washers when we bolted the column back up underneath the dash. Reason being, was getting a loud squeak again last summer when turning the wheel lock to lock or in tight space. This kept the center column from scraping/touching the collar. It worked, no more squeal. Anyhow I just removed the ground wire to ground it anyplace else it would reach metal underneath the dash to no avail. Still no fuel gauge- and the one harness plug still pretty hot.

I'm very interested in what answers you receive, since I have a issue that is somewhat similar. When I drive my car for more than 15 minutes, the steering column near the ignition switch warms up more than normal. I have the optional factory light package with the time delay for lighting up the area near the ignition switch.

At each end, where do the steering column ground wire attach and connects occur ---on the steering column?, and on the firewall? where is the ground established?

Any heat in a plug or wire indicates high resisance which is a result of a poor connection or too much current flowing though too small of a wire. Pull the plug apart an check for corrosion and squeeze the female terminals so they fit tighter into the male terminals. The steering column should have a small black wire connecting it to the dash frame for the ground.

The term ," redundant ground', is a fallacy. I found that out quick, install another ground , and ohm it. Don't ask...

What does "ohm it" mean? I believe you mean to say "check the resistance value (in ohms) of the circuit path. It should be near zero ohms.

Its a bad connection.....Sometimes I have to actually reach under the column and shake the harness/plug around for the car to start now. removed the column last summer and had all the internals replaced including the ignition harness by a member here. (havent seen or heard from him, hope he's OK) He wound up cutting and splicing the new harness, unfortunately its the same harness with the problem thats getting hot and I need to shake around to start the car. Friend of mine who owns a shop checked it out and cant believe the way the connections were done. Looks like we gotta yank the thing again and buy ONE more harness and have the electrical connections done right.

CHECK your GROUNDS!!! My Barracuda did the same thing. I added a ground wire from the engine to the K frame and all is well again. Almost ruined a new Year One harness.

Anyone have a FSM picture or a camera photo showing where the ground wire connects to the column and the dash frame?

The factory added a little piece of wire about 5 inches with ring terminal on each end.
It went from one steering column to bracket bolt to one steering column support bolt.
All it does is insure column ground for the horn and the shift indicater lamp. The main reason it was added is because without it the ground path was through the bearing.
That ground jumper has no effect on the ignition switch or the instrument panel.
To add a similar ground jumper from the potmetal gauge housing to the column support isn't a bad idea. With a dedicated ground attached you can power up the panel before it is screwed to the dash.
Shimming a steering column is a new one for me. If the bearings in it are good it should locate itself. The steering column isn't centered up properly with the radius cut in the inst panel. Never has, never will. Only Chryslers engineers know why.
To try and get a perfect fit there will cause scraping noises in the column and shorten bearing life.

Lol, Red. The engine is offset, along with the pinion, the body measurements are off 1/2". Everything is off, but they kick ***. Sorry for stealing the thread, but, get it grounded, the more grounds, the merrier, then have fun.

Shimming a steering column is a new one for me. If the bearings in it are good it should locate itself. The steering column isn't centered up properly with the radius cut in the inst panel. Never has, never will. Only Chryslers engineers know why.
To try and get a perfect fit there will cause scraping noises in the column and shorten bearing life.

Didnt shim it to align with the instrument panel here. The collar around the column for the auto shift was contacting the shaft, so as you would turn the wheel you were getting the scrape noise. The shims centered it up just enough to avoid all contact.

When you get done cleaning all the connections as well as the bulkhead connectors, don't forget to apply some die-electric grease to make sure everything stays corrosion free............

Your electrical system will love you for it.

Just a follow up to the ongoing saga.. All is well once again. For starters, the Column had to be removed and was sent off to "Hemi Pete" over in Bridgewater Ct. He found a few important small parts were missing and bearings installed incorrectly from last summers column rebuild that I unfortunately paid someone for. Pete fixed me up nice. Now we can adjust the column so the shaft is centered and not scraping as you turn the wheel.
A new ignition harness had to be purchased and installed the RIGHT way..This time my brother Todd took care of that. As stated in an older post, the first BRAND NEW harness was cut/spliced and taped up which resulted in having to reach under the dash to "wiggle" the harness around to start the car. I believe daliant (diagnosed the issue) it was a poor connection as a result of a terrible wiring job that nearly burned my car up.
Damn good thing I dont throw stuff out! kept a spare dash assembly including the dash wiring harness from another 70 Duster which we had to scavenge a plug connector from since the original one in my car had nearly melted. Swapped over to my Duster & thoroughly cleaned up the connection pins. Finally had the time to put it all back together and take her out for a ride. Once again, fuel gauge works nicely. All the dash lights operate-and the led's are bright. Steering column operates nice and smooth like it should. Oh yea, the harness plug stays nice and cool!

-
Back