harsh ride

-

73dodge

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a 69 valiant that i recently finished building. i changed everything on the car. I have a 408" smallblock, 904 trans with a dana 60 rear with 3.54 gears. The problem is the ride is very stiff and you feel very crack on the road. I installed super stock springs and kyb shocks all around. I guess those shocks are too hard for the car. Any suggestions on what shocks to run? It's more of a street car than strip. What shocks are you guys running? The car feels like its on rails almost but just too harsh.

High spring rates, stiff shocks, and stiff tire sidewalls all contribute to a harsh ride. What size tires are you running? The 8 3/4 is heavier than the 7¼ and 8¼. This increased unsprung weight will also make the ride harsh. You may want a softer set of tires for the street and a pair of "play" tires for the strip.

I run a lot softer spring set-up, but run stiff Monroe Gasmatics. The ride is not harsh, but I wouldn't want to take it on the strip with a monster small block in it. It would wind up the springs and make the tires chatter like a typewriter.

I initially put KYB`s on my Barracuda and hated the ride (very harsh as you described) so I replaced them with a stock HD Monroe shock which made a huge difference. A good radial tire will absorb a lot of what the road has to offer, especially if you`re running a bias-ply.

The springs IMO are the more likely culprit. They are not made for cruising, but for controlling axle windup. If the car is light already, the spring rates are too high. I would suggest de-archign them an inch or 1 1/2". Then, run soemthing like the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Cheap shocks are just that... If you enjoy the drive, rather than only full throttle straight, you need a better suspension than one designed for acceleration.

KYB's also take about a thousand miles and then they become less stiff- I've had them on my 2 Darts, the 300, a D150, and my turbo Caravan. Another thing-do you have poly bushings in the suspension? Beyond swaybar mounts, they will definitely make a more jarring ride. High durometer rubber rates an 80 on the hardness scale (think HD and cop suspension), poly is a 90.

-
Back