Has anyone done an electric fan conversion on their early A?

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
Hey All,

My plan is to have my original radiator in my 65 Dart (with commando 273) re-cored so I can keep the original look going.. My questions is that I'd like to get a shroud and electric fan installed; does anyone have any suggestions on fan sizes/brands/links to use or even pictures of this done? Haven't really been successful finding any previous threads about it and I know this is common enough..

Thanks!

It would have to be a pusher in front of the radiator as I don’t think there’s enough room between the radiator and water pump.

Don't have any numbers or Photos.Did it about 10 years ago on a 64 Barracuda. Pusher like Dartman said.Had to modify the grille support/hood latch a bit to make it fit.Now we were installing A/C so you may not have to at all. But it can be done !

Don't have any numbers or Photos.Did it about 10 years ago on a 64 Barracuda. Pusher like Dartman said.Had to modify the grille support/hood latch a bit to make it fit.Now we were installing A/C so you may not have to at all. But it can be done !
Gotcha - thanks. Sounds like the best way would be re-core and add a few and maybe seeing about building a shroud..

Hey All,

My plan is to have my original radiator in my 65 Dart (with commando 273) re-cored so I can keep the original look going.. My questions is that I'd like to get a shroud and electric fan installed; does anyone have any suggestions on fan sizes/brands/links to use or even pictures of this done? Haven't really been successful finding any previous threads about it and I know this is common enough..

Thanks!
Why? Do a 3 core on the original rad, install a factory steel shroud and a factory 7 blade mechanical fan. It's all you will ever need.

Why? Do a 3 core on the original rad, install a factory steel shroud and a factory 7 blade mechanical fan. It's all you will ever need.
Sounds like the new plan. Easiest way to go, too. I've never seen a factory shroud on an early A.. anyone have a model number?

I did one 30 years ago when I lived in South Dakota. Installed on the core and was a puller. No shroud. I can't remember the brand, but it was a good brand. Great for quick heat in winter. It cooled well, but was probably a 3 core radiator. Only came on when idling, which was not often there.

Sounds like the new plan. Easiest way to go, too. I've never seen a factory shroud on an early A.. anyone have a model number?
There are 2 piece steel OEM. V8 Engines: Upper- 2524306 Lower- 2524313 Pic below:
Barracuda Shroud and Fan1.jpg

Vendor I recall was "rocketresto" on eBay. $55 for the complete 4 bracket kit including the required cage nuts. Re-pops. Don't want to upset a moderator so if you are looking for an OEM set PM me.

After going to electric fans some years ago I found it hard to go back to a mechanical fan. I can't imagine there's many or any cars left these days that run a mechanical fan. Power robbing dangerous pieces of metal that are operating even when you don't need them. I'm not a fan of the metal mechanical fan LOL

Electric cooling fan technology has improved vastly in the last few years. Quieter, smaller, cheaper, more efficient. Puller type with curved blades is the way to go. The curved blades are the quiet ones.

After going to electric fans some years ago I found it hard to go back to a mechanical fan. I can't imagine there's many or any cars left these days that run a mechanical fan. Power robbing dangerous pieces of metal that are operating even when you don't need them. I'm not a fan of the metal mechanical fan LOL

I guess I have the last one in existence then. The car's track days are over so not concerned about HP loss. Runs on the street 180 degrees all day long and is still quite capable of getting out of its own way. LOL!

I guess I have the last one in existence then. The car's track days are over so not concerned about HP loss. Runs on the street 180 degrees all day long and is still quite capable of getting out of its own way. LOL!
I didn't mean for you to take this personally and I was also referring to new cars. As in they probably don't make mechanical fans on many new cars. Not yours or ours..

I didn't mean for you to take this personally and I was also referring to new cars. As in they probably don't make mechanical fans on many new cars. Not yours or ours..
You are quite right. No offence taken at all. My response was "tongue in cheek". Peace.

Radiator conversations can be combative.
Right on! I've been in a few on here.

FYI early A bodies with A/C all had these shrouds we are discussing. You being in "hot" So Cal you should be able to locate one fairly close to you if you decide to go the OEM route.

Right on! I've been in a few on here.

FYI early A bodies with A/C all had these shrouds we are discussing. You being in "hot" So Cal you should be able to locate one fairly close to you if you decide to go the OEM route.
Good info! what a shame i saw a 64 dart /6 in the junk yard about a year ago with AC and never knew... read my mind i was wondering what would the option be or whatever to have this..Thanks!

That's my plan for my 273/235 in my wagon. I've already had the radiator re-cored to 3 core, I have a factory V8 shroud and brackets and a factory early A AC fan.

There are 2 piece steel OEM. V8 Engines: Upper- 2524306 Lower- 2524313 Pic below:
View attachment 1715279622

Yep, they bolt together on either side in the middle. If I ever have some free time, I believe these might be possible to more or less reproduce. FWIW, slant shrouds are similar but definitely not as wide. B bodies of that vintage also used a similar shroud the same width but taller than the A shroud.

Vendor I recall was "rocketresto" on eBay. $55 for the complete 4 bracket kit including the required cage nuts. Re-pops. Don't want to upset a moderator so if you are looking for an OEM set PM me.

IIRC, they are listed for a B Body. I bought a set to compare to my known A Body brackets - they're identical.

Good info! what a shame i saw a 64 dart /6 in the junk yard about a year ago with AC and never knew... read my mind i was wondering what would the option be or whatever to have this..Thanks!
Your 273 needs the 22" V8 shroud. /6 had a 19" rad. Good luck!

That's my plan for my 273/235 in my wagon. I've already had the radiator re-cored to 3 core, I have a factory V8 shroud and brackets and a factory early A AC fan.

Yep, they bolt together on either side in the middle. If I ever have some free time, I believe these might be possible to more or less reproduce. FWIW, slant shrouds are similar but definitely not as wide. B bodies of that vintage also used a similar shroud the same width but taller than the A shroud.

@66fs
Re Rocketresto. Note this post from 65Dartman:
IIRC, they are listed for a B Body. I bought a set to compare to my known A Body brackets - they're identical.

-
Back