has anyone had this problem before

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a small knock coming from the right side of Tylers engine. It sounds like it is in the rocker area under the valve cover. It doesn't sound like a collapsed lifter as it doesn't sound like a tick. It doesn't do it all the time. It is more of a metal sound. It is on a 360. I am going to pull the valve cover and run it some. I have a suspicion that somehow thw rocker may be hitting the VC. He has the M/T VC on there and they do sit a little lower than my MP ones. Has anyone ever had a problem with M/T valve covers like that. I had a similar noise with the M/T on my 440 before I switched. This noise seems to be a little louder when first started. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak. going to check that too. any help would be appreciated. Bill

Maybe a wrist pin. Do you have full floating pistons? If so Drop the pistons to the bottom of their holes and look thru the plug hole with a scope for damage. If a retainer came loose a pin can ruin your block.

Is there OEM cast manifold with flap inside ? If so that will be my guess

Get out your broomstick stethoscope try to localize. Is there a breather or filler in that valve cover area. Maybe a baffle came loose?

Look for witness marks on the back side of the valve cover when you remove it. If it was hitting, there should be some nice new shiny marks there.

don't have flaps on manifolds, it isn't a wrist pin. It sounds worse when first started and goes away as quick as it comes. It doesn't have heat risers. took them off. It is a stock valve train. I didn't get to take the VC off today, wound up doing other stuff but I did find an exhaust leak on the back bolt of the exhaust manifold on pass. side. ordered a new set of gaskets and pulled the rear bolt out and going to replace it with a stud. It may be that but it just sounder a little louder than a leak. I will let you guys know what happens when I get the new gaskets on. I will try the stethoscope thingy too. I want to get the VC off and start it for a moment and see if any thing looks off. It doesn't make noise when it is running down the road that I can tell. That is what baffles me. At least I cant hear it from the inside of the car.

-
Back