Has anyone left the roofrail trim OFF? 69 Dart

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
Was doing some disassembly work last night, and I took off the trim that holds the roof rail seals (its 3 pieces, held on by screws and black foam that appeared to be tape by might have just been old). If I GLUE the seals in place, do I need the trim? I havent decided one way or another, just looking through my options.

I will say this, these Darts have a LOT of brightwork around the doors... too much in my opinion

Can't answer your question but it must be there for a reason. If you don't like the brightwork, paint it black then install them.

Isn't that trim a track for the seal? I'd need to look at my car, its been about 10 years since I did it.

Considerin not every car came with it I would have to say "yeah".

The trim is a track for the roof seals that meet the top of the glass on the side windows.

I could paint it black, and that is the current plan, but if I can leave it off entirely, that is better (less work).

Not 100% sure of what you are talking about, a simple picture would work wonders! If you mean the trim that screws into the bottom of the roof then it holds the weatherstripping that seals the windows or doors to the car depending on whether you are talking about a sedan or hardtop Context means everything...

Sorry... yeah, you have it right @HemiSSDart. Its that same trim. It holds the weatherstrip. I am just thinking if I leave it out, I can glue the weatherstrip in place.

It also holds the headliner conceal trim in place . Without it that trim will flop around and possibly fall off leaving an the headliner edges exposed.

It also helps keep the headliner from unraveling...

It also holds the headliner conceal trim in place . Without it that trim will flop around and possibly fall off leaving an the headliner edges exposed.

I though that too but couldn't remember if it did.....

OK, Looking at my car, the pieces that holds the seal and the other that holds the headliner work together to position and make the seal work. I'd just paint it the body color of you don't like it.

I though that too but couldn't remember if it did.....

OK, Looking at my car, the pieces that holds the seal and the other that holds the headliner work together to position and make the seal work. I'd just paint it the body color of you don't like it.

I just installed my headliner and trim this week so its fresh on my mind.

Was your headliner a bow type? I am having trouble figuring how those clips go that hold the black piece of trim to that rail.

Its kinda half-assed the way Mopar designed this part of the trim.

Installed the interior colored trim first with those clips already on the trim. Use a thin piece of tape to keep them from sliding around.
The clip itself acts as a headliner clip.
Its a bit of a puzzle until you slide those clips onto the trim. Then you can visualize how they work.
Once that is in place the stainless weatherstrip channel goes on. The inside lip of that channel locks over the outside lip of the colored trim thus holding the colored trim in place.

I should have taken pics....

Dont forget to put a strip of foam in between the roof rail and the stainless channel.
I think some adhesive backed door foam from home depot would work well.
They sell it in rolls of varying widths and thicknesses.

I'm not positive which parts you're referring to, but if it's what I think it is that stuff was a pain to work with getting OFF....so I'm not looking forward to getting it back ON. Here's some of the photos I took to help with the reinstall, if this helps...

I took this off last summer so I don't recall exactly, but I agree with those who have said you need this to hold everything on. I'd paint the brightwork and install it.

20180721_225525[1].jpg

20180721_225511[1].jpg

20180721_225530[1].jpg

20180721_225936[1].jpg

20180721_230055[1].jpg

20180721_230106[1].jpg

20180721_235122[1].jpg

20180721_235151[1].jpg

Last edited:
Those are all after the door seal was removed. Here's one before that step. (passenger side, the previous ones were all driver side)

20180720_230804[1].jpg

You're welcome. These photos are of a 71 Scamp by the way. Here's a couple more that I found where it shows how those clips go on to hold the headliner edge. I pried it back some and took a photo while it was still together, then removed the clip in the 2nd photo.

And to the original poster, now that I'm looking at these photo (see last one here), it looks like the shiny trim piece and inner headliner trim piece are more separate? It looks like the black headliner trim piece just touches the shiny trim. Not really holding it down? So you might get away without using the shiny, but then you're gluing your door seal directly to the car body.

20180720_234116[1].jpg

20180720_234142[1].jpg

20180721_222347[1].jpg

-
Back