Has anyone shipping windshields or rear windows?

-

plugger340

Reaction score
A FABO member wants me to ship a rear window to him. I thought I could build a plywood box, line the top. bottom, and ends with styrofoam, and then pour packing peanuts around the glass. Would this be the best way of doing it? Any ideas would be appreciated. :prayer:

Sounds good...Depending on the shipping company I would add a base so it stand upright and not lay on its side. Something simple...in the front and rear to prevent it from tipping. My .02!

OK, i've shipped just one window, and was a nervous wreck until it got there, but heres what I did..

I found a box that had ample room inside for the glass, and put the window in a large bag to protect the glass. Then I placed styrofoam blocks in the bottom of the box and placed the window inside. Then I took it to a jobsite where they were doing sprayfoam insulation on a new house and had them "fill" the box by spraying the foam inside the box. It expands like all get out, but set up quick and didn't pucker the box at all.

I knew the insulators and was able to get that part done for nothing, but I can almost guarentee that if you went to an insulation company that did sprayfoam, they would give you a nominal price for filling the box. Even better if you are in the trades, or know where they are insulating a house, I'd bet they would fill the box for beer money. I flipped them a $10 spot and everybody was happy!!!

I am very cautious about shipping items, and would not consider shipping another window unless I could do this procedure again!! JMO, Geof

I have shipped glass before, I got some old carpet padding and wrapped the glass 2 or 3 times, then box it up. The padding is thick and really tough. If you have a place near by that sells carpet, they usually have some old scraps or a dumpster where they recycle it, i am sure they would let you have some for free.

at my job we receive and ship some bus windshield (huge) and smaller bus side windows, this is how we do and never have a problem. If your box is too light/flimsy / carboard it s a receipe for disaster

-wood box 1/4 inch thick with 1x2 surround or 1x1
-put some stryrofoam sheet on bottom and side to lock the window
-home window spray foam

voila!

Shipped my rear window to the top shop

Built a box out of 1 x 4 and used 1/4 " plywood packing nuts and off it went

The guy said he had never seen anything pack that well

Spray foam would be better than peanuts, just make sure you wrap well in plastic 1st, line box with foam board for even more protection.

-
Back