Has anyone used Amsoil synthetic Transmission lube 75W-90 GL-4 in their 1969 4 speed?

-
Why Are You Attacking A Fellow Mopar A-Body Bother???
I am not attacking you and I am sorry if it seemed that way. It is just extremely unlikely that the lube was the culprit and if the only reason you think it was is because it was a fresh rebuild then you are just fooling yourself. It is infinitely more likely that it was a bad part or mechanic's error. Both are more common than any of us would like to think and failures because of faulty lubes are pretty much non-existant.

I don't see an attack here, just a statement of some basics. Additionally, what actually failed? Cluster gear, bearings, synchro ring, u-joint, main shaft, or did it totally seize or blow the case?

I am not being mean spirited or judicial here, just looking for more info as to what occurred.

I have run auto tranny fluid and 140w and 90w at different times, no problems, but I think I would go with a synthetic.

You have to excuse Ace. He HATES Amsoil for some unknown reason. To be fair I have never heard of them paying a claim but I have also never heard of anyone trying to make a claim except on this thread.
I don't hate Amsoil. I think their oil is great - top shelf stuff. I just hate the company. KInda like Microsoft. They make some really slick software (NOT Windows!). But their business practices and company ethical standards (at least in the executive suites) are regrettable.

And I do know of many Amsoil claims that were made and never paid - two cases in particular, which seemed to be legitimate. Granted, the vast majority were bogus claims, as is the case in alot of warranty type stuff where scammers try to get money for nothing. But two were valid, or at least seemed legitimate from the info I saw, and Amsoil weaseled out of them. But they are long stories and I will not go into them here.

I don't hate Amsoil. I think their oil is great - top shelf stuff. I just hate the company. KInda like Microsoft. They make some really slick software (NOT Windows!). But their business practices and company ethical standards (at least in the executive suites) are regrettable.

And I do know of many Amsoil claims that were made and never paid - two cases in particular, which seemed to be legitimate. Granted, the vast majority were bogus claims, as is the case in alot of warranty type stuff where scammers try to get money for nothing. But two were valid, or at least seemed legitimate from the info I saw, and Amsoil weaseled out of them. But they are long stories and I will not go into them here.
Wow ace, you give Microsoft more credit than I do. It seems to me that most of their software is nothing but a bunch of glitches and incompatibility bundled together in an expensive package!

...most of their software is nothing but a bunch of glitches and incompatibility bundled together in an expensive package!
We can agree on that. And unlike Amsoil, which has great products, M$'s products are for the most part, inferior to other similar offerings from other sources (open!).

So you see, I'm not really an incorrigible zealot. Just very opinionated. And I don't usually push my opinions online anywhere if they are not backed up with personal experience.

We can agree on that. And unlike Amsoil, which has great products, M$'s products are for the most part, inferior to other similar offerings from other sources (open!).

So you see, I'm not really an incorrigible zealot. Just very opinionated. And I don't usually push my opinions online anywhere if they are not backed up with personal experience.
Opinionated? Something else we share. Check out my "Windows error messages" thread. When you posted the above it reminded me of those.

I am not attacking you and I am sorry if it seemed that way. It is just extremely unlikely that the lube was the culprit and if the only reason you think it was is because it was a fresh rebuild then you are just fooling yourself. It is infinitely more likely that it was a bad part or mechanic's error. Both are more common than any of us would like to think and failures because of faulty lubes are pretty much non-existant.

i agree. how about some pics of the damage?

...faulty lubes are pretty much non-existant.
There is some pretty low grade stuff on the dollar store shelves and places like that which can over-extended in many applications pretty quickly. But I doubt they are claiming any warranty support either, so caveat emptor.

The biggest contributor to lube-related failure is and always has been the "luber," i.e. the person pouring in the oil. Wrong oil for the application, excessively long service interval, low fluid levels caused by leaks / not regularly checking, all contribute to this problem.

These tools of ignorance are regularly wielded by creatively stupid self-appointed home mechanics to kill automotive equipment all the time. That is why lube warranties are patently absurd, by definition.

Keep up the good work Amsoil. Love your oil, just not willing to pay the premium price for a worthless warranty.

For the record, the Field Service manual for a '65 Dodge Dart/Coronet advises "Multi-Purpose Gear Oil SAE140" in warm climates and either "... SAE 80 or 90" or "Auto Trans Fluid Type "A" Suffix "A"" in cold climates.
You must realize that lubricants have changed dramatically in content in the
last 45 years or so, so I doubt these specs have much meaning now.
I've used Redline MTL synthetic lubricant for years with excellent results.

My $.02,

Jim

Honestly, You could run the cheapest, low grade gear oil and expect and get more than 500 miles. People do it all the time, they go 10s of thousands of miles on low grade oil. If you lost your trans after only 500 miles my bet is it was not the oil you put in it.

833s are pretty tough gearboxes. I think you could use a mixture of axle grease and cheese sauce and get more than 500 miles out if it.

hi, well, have to comment here. with heavy gear oil, it will cover up a lot of sins in the transmission. years ago, car lots put the thickest gear oil and stp in manual trans to sell a car. trans sounded fine, till the oil was changed, then heard whining, gear clash, grinding in trans. usually they blamed the oil for the problem!!! 140 gear oil does not lube till it gets hot!!!! therefore, the trans runs dry!!! this causes wear!!! a lighter oil will lube always. ATF is ok, but for short use. the synthetic gear oils are superiour to std oils!!
i have ran manual trans for last 35 yrs in my street and drag cars. my 833 would not have made well over 3000 passes with regular 140 oil in it!!
I inspect it about every 500 runs, there is no wear on countershaftor bearing areas. the gears look like new!!! synthetic gear oil is only way to go.
and btw, the 833 is in a mid 11 sec duster, it gets pounded on very regularly.

833s are pretty tough gearboxes. I think you could use a mixture of axle grease and cheese sauce and get more than 500 miles out if it.

You could probably get 500 miles out of one filled with bath water.

I got 3 miles out of one filled with Passon's special blend. I didn't blame the lube. Fact is I strained out the metal and reused in the new trans Its got over 1000 miles on it and working fine.Still dont know why the first one "siezed" up. Just one of those things.

hi, need a clarification, is that clean or dirty bath water??? lol, sorry, couldn't pass it up.

When you pulled the tranny apart...what did you find? The reason I asked was because I used the wrong weight in a Honda transmission once and it lasted a very short time. Meaning that if it was the Amsoil 140 maybe it didnt lube the parts like it should have. With that being said..maybe it more of the salesman instead of the product itself.
I have been using the Amsoil in my NV4500 Dodge Cummins transmission for the last 100k and its doing fine. As you may know that this transmission calls for the Castrol Syntorq or they say if anything else is used...it will cause issues with the transmission. Still waiting on the issues to start. Transmission has 271k on it.

Rick

Just one comment on oils, anyone remember the graphite oils? I think it was Mobil that started it. Used it in my 305 chev...instant valve tick. Drained it, flushed it 2 times and went back to regular Valvaline...It stopped ticking after a few oil changes and 4 months. I still have a qt or two around. Quaker State had a problem in the early 80's and paid for some rebuilds. I seem to remember being told that you never use atf in a 833. I also heard the guys that ran fast used it. That was from the 70's though and trans oils are alot better now. By the way, I used 90 wt in my 833, never destroyed one but wore out the synchros!:-D

-
Back