Has anyone used pre-'70 bracketry/pulleys on a 360?

-

cudavert

DARTAHOLIC
Reaction score
I just wanted to know because I'd like to keep my '68 Dart's original style radiator, water pump, pulleys and various component bracketry. It's got a '75 360 installed. The 360 harmonic balancers have a "deep" look to them, compared to the earlier flat-looking 273/318/340's harmonic balancers. I don't know if the earlier crank pulley will mount,......or even line up the belts correctly. Help?

I just wanted to know because I'd like to keep my '68 Dart's original style radiator, water pump, pulleys and various component bracketry. It's got a '75 360 installed. The 360 harmonic balancers have a "deep" look to them, compared to the earlier flat-looking 273/318/340's harmonic balancers. I don't know if the earlier crank pulley will mount,......or even line up the belts correctly. Help?
yes, as long as you have all the pullies from the same engine. should be fine.

What he said. If you run the early water pump, pulleys, and brackets it should all line up.

Everything fits fine but you will somehow have to move your timing marks 90 degrees, don't remember which way. The easiest way is to use a timing tape.

Ok, what was the conclusion here. I have the same question...360 into '67 Dart 'vert w/273 now. I assume I have to use the weird 360 damper as it is a cast crank, correct? Do I have to use an early timing cover as well? I plan to use an early 273 water pump and would like to use the 273 brackets and pulleys to retain the 273 "look".

I think I have the convertor/flexplate/motor mounts sorted out. Going to use the original convertor with a B+M weighted flexplate and convertor hub bushing...Schumacher mounts.

Any help appreciated....Thanks, guys.

P.S. Anyone notice the early timing cover has an extra bolt hole thats not drilled in a 360 block?

Ok, what was the conclusion here. I have the same question...360 into '67 Dart 'vert w/273 now. I assume I have to use the weird 360 damper as it is a cast crank, correct? Do I have to use an early timing cover as well? I plan to use an early 273 water pump and would like to use the 273 brackets and pulleys to retain the 273 "look".

I'm installing a 360 into my '68 GT 'vert. It had already had an '80s 318 put in years ago but they used the original engine accessories. I left the 360 timing cover on it and the original 2 groove pulley bolts to the 360 damper. One hole didn't quite line up (didn't on the later 318 either) but I reamed it out a little. I used the early water pump also so the power steering pump bolts right up to it. The only thing I noticed was the triangle shaped alternator bracket looked bent a little on one end from the previous install. I put a washer under it and it bolted up nicer. The alternator lines up fine.
I also had to modify the driver side motor mount. I just cut a tab off of a spool mount I had laying there and welded it to the original so it would bolt to the upper ear on the block. Took one spacer also. I should have taken pics but I forgot to.
Dallas

IMG_5672 (Small).JPG

-
Back