hauling a car through Canada

-

freshayr

Reaction score
My buddy just bought a car in MI. The quickest way to get there from NY is through Canada. Can we drag an unregistered car home on a trailer through Cananda? anybody done this before?

well i live in michigan and i sold my gts to a fellow in new hampshire last fall.

him and his brother came thru canada to pick it up after they loaded up the car he asked me a different way to get back not going thru canada.
he went home thru ohio and pa. ect.

he got tied up at the bridge for close to 3 hrs.

i go to swap meets in canada and i get tied up just in the truck for a good hour or more.

all this do to the 911 tradegy.

and without a title it maybe harder.

bill

I've towed my racecar in Canada from Maine three times with no serious problems but the last one got my attention. The first two times crossed the border in and out of Canada with no problems, the third time into Canada no problem back across almost a big problem. The border guard asked to see the paperwork for my unregistered racecar, I had none. When I told him so he said "pull over your not going anywhere". Oh great. Luckily the other border guard that was there had seen us go through two days before and after a few minutes let us (a friend had his racecar also) go through. I asked the guard what we could do to avoid this problem again and he said to stop at the U.S. side before going into Canada and fill out some paperwork stating what you have with you and let them sign it. Display this paperwork when you enter back into the U.S. and you should be O.K. This was 2003 and i haven't tried this yet. I may be registering my racecar next time I go to Canada just to be sure. Maybe give customs a call to see what they recommend. Every time I cross the border I hold my breath because you never know what they may be checking this time.

One time we came through they checked if we had any beef. Mad cow

Hello from a Canuck who's brought a few cars across the border over the years.... first off... they will not let you bring the car into Canada... even if we buy a car in the USA the first thing I ask before buying is...." does it have a title?"... the TITLE is required to be sent to the border crossing you plan on using no less than 72 Hours prior to bringing the car across..... this is if you purchased the car and plan on keeping it in Canada.... So, travelling through Canada would be a nightmare. Believe me. I don't think you would even get across the border as they would think that you would plan on dropping the car somewhere along the line. Someone from the USA can deliver the car to someone in Canada if they have sold it to them....again the 72 hr rule applies but it makes it easier for the guy in Canada if you bring it into Canada. I wish it was easier ( Free trade my ***!) but it's not. Not for passing through atleast. On the other hand to sell a car to someone north of the border... as mentioned the biggest requirement is a TITLE! If you don't have one, not a big problem as one can be optained from a title service ( as long as both parties agree ) and then the buyer ( Canadian ) or shipper delivering the vec is required to pay 7 % of the reciept at the border as well as a fee of $100.00 excise if the car was optioned with A/C... even if it's not hooked up or not working.... you still pay the $$. Then they give the shipper or new owner the required documents and the vec is then registered in the new owners provience at DMV ( Department of Motor Vec's )... hope this helps.... final word..... stay in the USA unless you sell to us!!

Bryan

I would call ahead and find out. All it amounts to is cargo in your trailer, and your just passing through. So if you're not going to sell it while in Canada you should be okay. But if you don't call I would definitely stop at the U.S. side before entering so you don't have a problem going through another crossing.

i spoke with a canadian customs officer and he said "no problem" (maybe he was Jamaican) its done all the time. Goods in transsport.

I'm going in the middle of June to Sanair dragracing I'll let you know how it goes. One thing I have done in the past is get a Canadian(french) insurance card from your insurance agent.Don't know why but several people told me I should so I did. Also there is talk of eventually needing a passport to cross.

Hope this helps yah,

I just sold a 64 to a Canadian last month.

Had to fax the title to them before he brought it across, Had to have a bill of sale also. price and sig attached. With my phone#

This took about a two weeks. Before the car even rolle dup on the trailer.

-k

Update on the Canada thing. Went last week with race car in tow. Stopped at U.S. side filled out a Certificate of Registration for the race car, required vin and other info. Canada side just wanted to know where we are going and if we were going to leave anything in Canada. Went through with no problems. It gets messy when you are going to sell something in Canada, not visiting or passing through. Just be sure to stop at the U.S. side before entering Canada if you have an unregistered vehicle, it will make it much easier to get back into the U.S. if they should decide to ask for paperwork on the car in question when you return. They don't always do this but you never know when they will. The whole thing took about 10 minutes on the U.S. side to fill out the form.

Give these guys a call and you can't go wrong. ](*,)

Canada Border Services Agency
In Canada: 1-800-461-9999 (English) ; 1-800-959-2036 (French)
Outside Canada: (506) 636-5064 (English) ; (506) 636-5067 (French)
www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

DSCF0016.jpg

update:
I hauled the car through Canada with no problems

-
Back