Have a line on a 2004 5.7L Hemi, Is this a good swap candidate?

-

nerd racing

Reaction score
So I was bored surfing Craigslist and I came upon a listing for a mostly swapped 5.7L Hemi Conquest. I guess the guy is in a bind and needs money. I don't need a project like that right now so I told the guy I'd be interested in the Hemi if he parts it out.

I'm basically after the complete engine, oil pan to plastic cover. Then I'd use a plug and play megasquirt system to control the injection and tune the engine.

I'm figuring I'll need the following aftermarket items:

Car oil pan and pickup tube (Mildon?)
Custom Mount Brackets to play nice with the Early A K frame
Flex plate to mount up to the 904
Electric Fuel Pump and relay kit
Electric Fan, switch, and relay kit
Megasquirt Setup and harness
Custom headers to clear the tight engine bay (thinking maybe fenderwells to side pipes)

I can get the hemi complete for $1000 off the guy. What should I look out for when I go look at it? Is the 2004 year a good year? He said it was out of a truck.

Did he give you the mileage?

Do a leakdown test. If it passes, buy. Then swap valve springs and run it.

Your list looks good. Couple things:
-Milodon 31000 with correct pickup. Can use factory truck gasket/windage IF you put RTV in the right places. Otherwise you also need the milodon windage and gaskets.
-For fuel system - also need a wix 33737 corvette regulator/filter and all fittings
-Electric fan - don't need a switch- can be run by megasquirt (through relay).
-Headers - will TTI's not fit? Do you have power steering or manual?
-Brackets - will TTI's not fit?

My car is manual everything. I think the TTI stuff only fits the later A bodies for the Hemi swap (67 and up).

I am going to text the guy about the mileage. I basically want to do all that I can to make sure it's a good engine before I put money down on it.

I also plan on upgrading to 1.06" torsion bars to deal with the added weight/torque. Sub frame connectors are also on my list.

Thanks for the part numbers. I will have to look up the RTV tricks, I'm all for using as many OE parts as possible.

Will the TTI stuff work for early A V8 K members?

Basically I can go 2 routes here, spend the money on the Hemi and swap parts. Get it running with fuel injection and be a happy camper.

Or I can use my current 360 and add Magnum heads, intake, injection and still be satisfied.

By the time I get things how I want them and pay for the hidden things the costs will be similar if I can get the hemi and build my own Megasquirt (did it for my turbo awd mazda protege) and harness.

According to him the engine has only 30,000 miles on it. He didn't get it compression checked or leak down tested though.

Well I'm looking at it Wednesday, anything in particular to look out for?

-
Back