Have a Space Maker Duster I need a little help.....

-

19 Again..

Reaction score
I've finally got my car back and am taking out the almost 40 year old carpet, what a mess. My question is what do you use to get the almost 40 year old glue off of the metal on the backseat (fold-down) and the metal floor panel under the package tray. I think if I used a sander/grinder it would just load up the wheel.. Second question, I need to put some kind of sound dampener material in, open for suggestions on that too. But if I use it on the metal floor panel under the package tray what kind of adhesive could you use on a typical foil backed material to hold the carpet in place.....I'm open to any suggestions...
If it helps I got my Floorboard carpet and 2 yards of the same color for the fold down seat, panel, and drop back access to the trunk from Legendary. I've heard nothing but great reviews about them..

You could try some solvents, such as acetone, on the glue. Nothing might work on 40 year old glue, however. A paint scraper might be your best hope.

I used my DA sander. It did gum up the sand paper but the area was small enough that it didn't matter much. I only went through to sheets of sand paper. Maybe 1 or 2 dollars definitely worth it.

I used a scraper and wire brush to remove most of the old glue, then followed up with a scotchbrite pad. Worked very well in my case.

I would try a single sided razor blade, then follow up with goof-off.

Thank You "Fishbreath, jdheval, Badsport, and Blackbomber" for all of your input. Your really not gonna believe this but I stopped and picked up a single blade scraper ($1.99) and had some stuff at the house I use on my camper to clean and get blackstreaks off of it. You can get it at your local "Dollar General". Its called "Awsome" costs about $2.00 for 1/2 gallon. It is water based and you can use it for about anything that needs to be cleaned. Well I sprayed it on the old slathered glue and let it set for about 3 or 4 minutes, then used the cheap scraper and the glue actually just rolled off (with a little bit of elbow grease).. I actually was kinda stunned.. But hey... if I get it down to metal or the old paint I don't have to anything but rinse it off, and put the new carpet back on. See below..

Attachments

• Seat.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 208
That does look great! I have a space duster in which I will be doing the same thing with soon. I will have to pick up some of that detergent that you mentioned.

If you're interested I have pics of my old 1973 340-4spd SpaceDuster here on FABO. Just click on view photos MY340

Good luck with your Duster. :smile:

Alright now that I have all/most of the glue off. What kind of glue does anyone receommend? Contractors cement in a tube, silicone, ?? The old stuff actually reminds me of the old tile and carpet glue you could use before the EPA banned all solvent based types of adhesives. It's sort of butterscotch looking, and hard as a rock! I'm open for suggestions........
Thanks.

3M General Trim Adhesive #08088. It's a spray adhesive, easy to use and sticks to everything well. Dan

I've used the #77 because I had it on hand. But the general trim adhesive is probably more appropriate for this application.

Looks like the 3M General Trim Adhesive.. for the agenda! Thanks Everyone! I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.. If anyone has a Space Duster and has done this I have one last question; The metal "step" for better lack of words under the package tray (between the back of the seat and the drop down) shouldn't it be anchored with screws to the upper floor pans? Mine is just floating around and I don't see any old screw holes.. I was wondering what the noise was, guess I found it after I finalyl tore into this.. Anyone else??

I would not recommend the 3M Number 77 it does not hold up to the heat. I used it in several places and they all came loose. There is a high temp version I can't recall the number that will hold up to 300 or so degrees.

Looks like the 3M General Trim Adhesive.. for the agenda! Thanks Everyone! I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.. If anyone has a Space Duster and has done this I have one last question; The metal "step" for better lack of words under the package tray (between the back of the seat and the drop down) shouldn't it be anchored with screws to the upper floor pans? Mine is just floating around and I don't see any old screw holes.. I was wondering what the noise was, guess I found it after I finalyl tore into this.. Anyone else??

I found the platform or support held down by little self tapping sheet metal screws with 1/4'' heads, 6 on the front and 6 on the back screwed right through the ''platform'' front and back lips right through the floor pan, crude but effective. At least this is the way it was done on a '74 hang 10 Dart Sport i just parted out. I'm sure it was factory, i found the same screws holding other things to the floor boards in the interior this way as well such as the seat belt buzzer wiring harness etc. The car looked like it had never been apart since it was built.
I hope this helps.
Tom.

I finally found the holes from the original screws, and thank you for letting me know I wasn't stuck with a !!!!

-
Back