Have short block 340 and need the rest

-

shags72

Code Monkey
Reaction score
So I need to finish the 340 out, have block, crank, rods and pistons, while going with aluminum heads off some type. I was wondering if it would be best to just buy an old complete engine to get all of the other parts to complete the rest of the engine. Like oil pan, oil pump drive etc. What do you think?

Probably not for two reasons.

1: A complete or close to it 340 commands big bucks.

2: New parts like the oil pan are fresh stampings needing only a quick cleaning of the protective coating unlike burnt on oil after decades of use. New pulleys are straight and true tracking, etc….

So I need to finish the 340 out, have block, crank, rods and pistons, while going with aluminum heads off some type. I was wondering if it would be best to just buy an old complete engine to get all of the other parts to complete the rest of the engine. Like oil pan, oil pump drive etc. What do you think?
Yes. I just did the same and spent a ton of time and money chasing new and used parts, if you can find a complete core 318 cheap, it will have all the parts and hardware you need in one place.

I bought a cheap core from a member here who was kind enough to disassemble, and bag and tag. Sent me all of the parts which worked out perfect. Thanks @RAT ROD AL

I did the same exact thing quite a while back. If your going with some aluminum heads and aftermarket intake, all you need is a 318. The balancer is correct for the 340, and there’s a lot of stuff in there you might not think about. Such as cam retainer plate, oil pump bolts, timing chain oiler. It’s a lot cheaper and easier. I went real cheap back when I put mine together and also found a 360 for all the top end. A set of 596 heads works real good. Just plug the air holes, and plug the egr on the intake

I think that's what I will do if I can get a 273 or 318 cheap enough. If not well I guess I start researching parts! Thanks guys!

-
Back