HDK coilover length spring rate

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
OK I'm a soon to become member of the HDK club and I've been researching what shock and spring to use. Using the calculator on http://www.ridetech.com/info/spring-rate-calculator/ it looks like if I use the QA1 DS403 11.125 to 15 I would need a 300 to 325 pound spring. I have a 69 Valiant using a 383. Am I close in my calculation? What's everyone else using?

The shock you pick depends on...
1) ride height
2) tire diameter

The spring you choose depends on
1) the shock (10" or12")
2) weight on nose and other variables outlined in your link.

I always caution to mock up your front end assembly with the correct/actual wheel/tire combo you plan to use at the ride height/stance you desire......then measure the eye to eye for the RIDE HEIGHT measurement.

Another easy way is to place a shock simulator in place of the coil over. Simply take a piece of 1" box and drill 1/2" od holes.....one at the top, then at 12", 13", 14" apart to simulate the ride heights of three different shocks and see what looks good.

buy the shock that best suits YOUR cars stance....and my favorite way is to actually see / simulate the stance on YOUR car as mentioned above

That's all good if I only know what wheel - tire combo I'll be using wouldn't the HDK determine that to a certian degree. The 1" tubing mock up sounds great I have a few different wheels and tires is stock so that should give me a good idea where to go

the uppers and lowers are adjustable for track width....from appox 58.125" to 61". I do not want to pigion hole anyone that already owns wheels and tires....plus it allows many wheel /tire options that other front ends will not.

just ANOTHER plus of the LOWER priced HDK! (a non -paid advertisement)

are there some examples Close to stock height? Tire is 215/65r15 on a Dart. Have absolutely no clue where to search. Do you have some in your program, Denny?
Guess will buy soon the shock Tower Dingsbums ( don't know the term yet hahahaha)....

I am including with Rods package a set of my new ride height stimulators....or simulators, whatever you prefer.

they simulate the stance / ride height for the most popular three coilovers.

As far as coil rate....it all depends on the car and how much weight is on the nose.
how much lightening has been done?....aluminum pieces?,,,,fiberglass"

my best guess would be start with 325llb coils......depending on which shock, you will need a 10 coil or 12" coil. My experience is that the longer /12" shock require about 25% less spring rate which naturally smooths out the ride.

Mine is ready for pick up and the weather finally looks better so a road trip is in order in the next few days

Will talk to when it comes serious. Need a way of shipping the shocks to Germany anyway.
If so then i need a Kit of the braces, shock and spring. All from you ;)
Will let you know and message you. ;)

Will talk to when it comes serious. Need a way of shipping the shocks to Germany anyway.
If so then i need a Kit of the braces, shock and spring. All from you ;)
Will let you know and message you. ;)

I will look forward to it. You would be the first in Europe.

Denny

Thank you :)
And I guess I've been the first, maybe not Europe but Germany, with a 6,1 HEMI and Toyota 5speed running. Kinda proud but out of Money as well :D. jezz, got that Thing in since 4 years now. Time is running, and this is nice and new. Torsion bar delete with keeping the K-Member....

-
Back