Head gasket LEAK , I Fd up

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I Fd up.:banghead: Did not check my block for being flat, and install a set of Mr gasket thin head gaskets. I got water leaking between the block and head. REALLY leaking, not just a seeping . The heads were surfaced and flat. Every thing was clean and dry. I did not use any head gasket sealer (copper coat)... I really don't want to pull the block down. So what do you think my chances are to fix the leak, buy installing a set of Thicker felpro FEL521SD head gaskets with the printOseal......or wait for it so snake oil , head gasket/ block sealer.
What type of block sealer WORKS ??? I Fd up.:banghead:
I had the thicker felpro 8553PT on before , I put on the thin MrGasket head gaskets .

...I had the same thing happen to my Magnum with the thin Mr G gaskets...really bad seepage-fouled the oil and was burning coolant. I just took them back off, cleaned the decks with solvent and 00 steel wool, and used the std Fel Pro permatorque blue gaskets, and it sealed up. Not saying that will work for you, but that's what I did. If you suspect your block is that warped, check it with a straight edge and feeler gage...if it's truly bad, you'll need to take it down anyway.

Impossible for anyone to "guess" what "might" fix your leak if you do not "diagnose" it first.

Make sure it isn't just your exhaust/header bolts leaking. Several of them enter water passages.

If that's not it, you will be pulling the heads off.

IF it is a head gasket, Grafoil gaskets (aka, the OE style) work well.

Pull it apart and clean it real well and apply Indian head shellac to both sides. You don't want to be one to have to pull it apart next time! :-D

Pull it apart and clean it real well and apply Indian head shellac to both sides. You don't want to be one to have to pull it apart next time! :-D

If pulling the heads back off is needed. Which gaskets would YOU use? The felpro blues FEL-8553PT, or FEL-26179PT multi layer steel, or the printOseal FEL-521SD. I think the Indian Head shellac may be a good idea also. What do you think of using permatex HI Tack ?

If pulling the heads back off is needed. Which gaskets would YOU use? The felpro blues FEL-8553PT, or FEL-26179PT multi layer steel, or the printOseal FEL-521SD. I think the Indian Head shellac may be a good idea also.

The composite type gaskets are better for sealing the surface finish leaks than the multi layer steel ones.

The 8553 would likely be better as the MLS gaskets require a specific finish cut to properly seal. I've used the printoseal style head and intake gaskets many times before with SBFs successfully to include under boosted applications; they're still a composite style with a more pronounced ring...and the imbedded silicone.

...I had the same thing happen to my Magnum with the thin Mr G gaskets...really bad seepage-fouled the oil and was burning coolant. I just took them back off, cleaned the decks with solvent and 00 steel wool, and used the std Fel Pro permatorque blue gaskets, and it sealed up. \.

This. Fel-pro 1008 FTW. After much though and experience, sometimes things like thin head gaskets aren't worth the reliability issues for a .25 gain in compression, hell 1 point is only 10HP anyway. Ain't gonna matter if you can't use your engine is it?

With the gasket removed and the surfaces cleaned, make sure the heads will sit flat and tight to the block. I've seen heads that have been milled ride up because the dowel pins bottom in their bores (fix with drill).

I would not really think of using CopperCoat with a composite gasket. If you do us it , be careful to not block any of the small coolant flow restriction holes, etc.

With the gasket removed and the surfaces cleaned, make sure the heads will sit flat and tight to the block. I've seen heads that have been milled ride up because the dowel pins bottom in their bores (fix with drill).

good advice, thanks....would anyone coat the blue felpros with copper coat for added peace of mind ?

Install coated gaskets (Fel-Pro blue, etc...) exactly per the instructions. To do otherwise will void the warranty of the gasket and invite failure.

-
Back