head gasket or cracks?

-

jerame_c

Reaction score
so I have been chasing all sorts of problems with my engine ($500 73 duster so I expected to)
it is running much better but I have discovered water is coming out the exhaust.
my coolant has no oil and i cant see bubbles.
my oil has no coolant
my exhaust spits steam and a little but of liquid water every time the engine misses.
the longer i idle the worse it gets and revving it up cleans things out for a few seconds.

I am getting ready to try the head gasket but can anyone shed some light on what they think is going on?

The burning of gasoline produces water vapor so that may be all it is. When it condenses inside the exhaust system, it drips out any hole it can find or out the tailpipe. If you're losing coolant, you'll have to find the cause. Have the system pressure tested to find any internal (or external) leaks. If you have a good mix of antifreeze, you can usually smell it in the exhaust fumes if you're "burning " it.

Good point, i really don't smell or taste antifreeze but their isn't much in the mix from refilling it multiple times due to a crack at the radiator seam.

Im going to see if maybe the muffler is full of water. my exhaust system is bent funny and the muffler is the lowest point in the whole system.

They usually are.....that's why good mufflers have a drain bleed hole in them or they're made out of stainless.

-
Back