head gasket

-

project360

Reaction score
question i cant find the answer too..

if my bore is 4.060... how big should the gasket bore be??
i pulled off a 4.25 gasket which is the exact sircumference of the head chamber... and there is ONLY one 4.25 head gasket from that i could find.

The gasket should be as small as possible, while not letting the fire ring overhang the chamfer on the top of the bore. This cut's down on the dead space between the head and block when the gasket is larger than the bore. (A common problem on 318 and 273 builds). Most small block gaskets are made for the largest overbore possible, plus some chamfer, which means they are about 4.180 bore, but not perfectly round.

Don't forget that you can call cometic and have any size bore and thickness made that you want. It'll just cost some more.

so block is 4.060,,,,

so looks to be a 4.125 / .040 Cometic will be a close fit while not letting the fire ring overhang the chamfer
or the 4.180 / .040 may be a better fit with a hair more room away from the fire ring.

Do not worry so much about this. If your bore is a 4.04, then a 4.06 head gsket should work fine. Theres no huge issue or difference with the larger bore gasket. Unless your racing or trying to do something else super perfect.

Just use blue Permatex. No. really.

-
Back