Head Gaskets

-
depending on thickness - yes
if it's a custom thickness, like I went with to get quench where I wanted it - then it's not the best option out there

Now that you mention it, I didn't run into it, but I know at least one other that had to remove the rivets...

Poor design of gasket it also is pitting the heads. Only 14 miles on motor.
I cant see using them again.

they have a viton seal, so pitting would be from the leaks you were dealing with

not defending cause i really dont care, but most manufacturers utilize the MLS design anymore.

It just seems that you missed it in your mock up stage and it cost you.

they have a viton seal, so pitting would be from the leaks you were dealing with

not defending cause i really dont care, but most manufacturers utilize the MLS design anymore.

I can't mock up a engineered problem, the gasket fit good and looked good. Can't do much more than that.

I can't mock up a engineered problem, the gasket fit good and looked good. Can't do much more than that.

attachment.php

NO offense man - but you never ever expect an engine to fall together without issues. Engineered problem? when you have several manufacturers going into a build like this you have to expect to check every thing several times.

It did not fit good, hell it didnt even look good - that bottom one you could see during the mockup stage

you need to look around the head to see the rivet under the deck, but it's just part of the process. Things get missed, I understand that but you really cant blame that on an engineering problem.

I used the Mr. Gasket MLS gaskets and ran into the same issue. On mine, if I remember right one rivet would get pinched between the head and block but if you turned it around it fit good. But I did ruin one gasket. Then after running the car for half a season they started leaking. I'm back to the 1008. Why I tried the Mr. Gasket's I'll never know.

He is 100% correct. When you open the cometic head gaskets, there is instructions that say if any rivits hit the head or block then drill them out.
My machinst is good friends with the guys at FelPro and they told him to lightly coat the whole head gasket( both sides) with grey silicone before assembly. I have had and ran the same Cometic gaskets since 2007 and had the motor apart a couple times to freshen up and have 0 issues with leaks. All of the composite head gaskets from felpro have a dry silicone coating on them to help with the sealing.

I just looked at my instructions and they do state that.

I use Cometic in both my street 340 and my race 416. No problems but I always Copper Coat them at least 2 coats.

I use Cometic in both my street 340 and my race 416. No problems but I always Copper Coat them at least 2 coats.

I did the same on my 410 TT Engine. No leaks at all. Heads and Block were machined for them also. When you need a custom made gasket you can not beat the Cometic. Proper prep and installation will ensure that they do not leak. I have used them on all sorts of engines with no issues at all ever.

Well talked with cometic and was told I had wrong gaskets, but in 2010 when I bought them there was only one set to buy, now they have a set for the edelbrock head new part number is 5917-040 But i got the felpro 1008's on now. Hope someone got help from this.

If you put the gasket over a 340 block the rivets over hang but as you see not on the head still should not leak.
attachment.php

NO offense man - but you never ever expect an engine to fall together without issues. Engineered problem? when you have several manufacturers going into a build like this you have to expect to check every thing several times.

It did not fit good, hell it didnt even look good - that bottom one you could see during the mockup stage

you need to look around the head to see the rivet under the deck, but it's just part of the process. Things get missed, I understand that but you really cant blame that on an engineering problem.

-
Back