head gaskets

-

Reaction score
i was looking at some head gaskets .025 will they raise the compression on my 72 340

Depends on what gaskets are in there now. The standard Felpro gaskets that come in the engine kits are typically .054". The Felpro performance gaskets are .039". If you have the stock '72 pistons in there they have a reduced comression height so the thinner .025" gasket would help assuming you have thicker gaskers on there now. You can punch some numbers in here:

http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

I doubt they'll raise it much. Maybe a half point max. Like Bill said the 72's had the pistons dropped down in the holes a bunch compared to the earlier ones.

Plus shim gaskets really don't seal incredibly well, any excessive heat and you've got a leak

If you want to bump your CR and performance, consider a head and/or cam swap, in that order - if you don't want to touch the bottom end that is

stock 340s from factory came with steel shim gasket..so unless the gasket has been replaced with thicker gasket it will not raise compression...

the mopar P4120094 is not a steel shim gasket...

Best way to raise compression is to replace the pistons with some nice light KB pistons.

thanks i havent took heads off yet i am going considering my options without going in bottom in though i might change the pistons but i need to see what i got first but thanks again for valuble information

-
Back