Head lights

-
What kind of car is it? High beams work? Sealed beam headlights?

Go to MyMopar and download a free service manual, or as "close as you can get." You may have to settle for Plymouth vs Dodge or vice versa

"The path" Think about the PATH that the headlights circuit takes.

POWER for both high and lo beams comes off the headllight switch and feeds to a terminal on the dimmer switch, which is a double throw switch. So stomping it switches the output of the headlight switch to either hi or lo. From there on separate wires, the hi and lo beam power goes THROUGH THE BULKHEAD connector, and around to the lamps. At some point (I don't know, likely the driver side headlight connector) the wire branches off to feed the other side.

There is only one ground for each side, usually tied together and connected at the radiator support

MOST LIKELY is a bad connection at the dimmer switch, a bad dimmer switch, a bad connection at the bulkhead connector, or a broken connection at the driver side headlamp

The dimmer switch is where I would start. I remember having an issue years ago. Can't remember if I replaced the dimmer switch, or cleaned up the contacts. My memory isn't the best....too much fun the late 70's early 80's...

The dimmer switch is where I would start. I remember having an issue years ago. Can't remember if I replaced the dimmer switch, or cleaned up the contacts. My memory isn't the best....too much fun the late 70's early 80's...
It’s a new one

It’s new

It’s new
Stop telling us "it's new." Here's the hard fact so please remember this FOR LIFE

"NEW" does not mean "good quality", "it works" or "it fits." It does not mean "good" or "better than what you had."

"NEW" only means "I went to the store and paid money for something"

"New" (and rebuilt!!!) parts or any other component can be defective out of the box.

Learn to test and troubleshoot and chase. At minimum on top of your mechanics tools, you need the factory service manual, a multimeter and a 12V test lamp (and most of the time you are better served with a test LAMP instead of an LED) and at least two "alligator clip" jumper leads.

Sometimes one low beam burns out and you don't notice anything until the other burns out. Happened to me long ago.

Your monosyllabic responses are probably going to have the people trying to help you with descriptive responses vanish. Peeps are trying to help you hundreds or thousands of miles away and all your responses don’t show a lot of effort.

Ok so this is what we know.

1.The high beam work.
2.That means there is power to the high low switch.
3.There is power out of the high side of the high low switch
4.The ground to the headlight bulbs is good.

Assumptions

1. The high low switch was replaced because the low beam were not working and it did not fix the problem
2. Liklyhood of 2 switches being bad in the same way small

What we don't know

1. Is there power out of the high low switch on the low side
2. Was any wiring changed.
3. Is there power at the head light bulb socket on the low beam
4.are the connectors at the high low switch making contact.
5.has the OP traced out the wire for the low beam from the bulb socket to the high low switch, looking for broken wires

An example of a wiring change that would allow high beam to work but not low beam would be if the feed to the high low switch was switched for the high beam output.

The high beam would work but the low would not.

Last edited:
Well aren't you just a wealth of information? How bout tellin us more about the car than just a four or less word response?

Last edited:
Please read and sit and think about posts #7 and 19. Maybe go look at the items mentioned in posts # 7 & 19. Then think a little more.
There are no relays in the headlight circuit unless someone did some rewiring in your car. We have no idea if this is the case based on your description (or lack thereof)
Is your name Smitty by chance?

Please read and sit and think about posts #7 and 19. Maybe go look at the items mentioned in posts # 7 & 19. Then think a little more.
There are no relays in the headlight circuit unless someone did some rewiring in your car. We have no idea if this is the case based on your description (or lack thereof)
Is your name Smitty by chance?
No

-
Back