Head Pics-do they look OK?

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
I got some new heads, i know i have to have them checked, but a few of the pics look weird, What do you guys think?

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01945.jpg

DSC01946.jpg

I cracked open a low mileage rebuilt 360 a few years back that had been partially filled up with water running in through the intake manifold and it looked very similar. I think that a tanking and cleaning up should do it but have your machinist verify that.

Know any good ones locally GTX? Ive know of one in Hayward.

Here are a few suggestions but I would want to talk to you some more to expand on these suggestions:

Mopar Engines West (Newark): I currently have several pieces there.
Rob's Machine (Hayward)
S&K Machine (Belmont)

Here are a few suggestions but I would want to talk to you some more to expand on these suggestions:

Mopar Engines West (Newark): I currently have several pieces there.
Rob's Machine (Hayward)
S&K Machine (Belmont)

Mopar engines West: Arnt they realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly expensive?
Robs: Thats where im going to take my my engine to have the work done
S&K: I think my buddy works there (Tony Hunter)?????

I was wondering if you knew any one in San Jose or our area, just for a tank and flux

Mopar engines West: Arnt they realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly expensive?
Robs: Thats where im going to take my my engine to have the work done
S&K: I think my buddy works there (Tony Hunter)?????

I was wondering if you knew any one in San Jose or our area, just for a tank and flux

MEW as a whole is a little more expensive than the average. I only have specific work done there and assemble myself.

Rob's has a good reputation and another member here uses them often. I know Jr has been getting into a lot of head work recently and I have heard good things. I forgot what head work school his old man sent him to but it seems to have worked out really well.

S&K: I only know Rick (who is the relatively new owner). He took over from Spud who was doing the work for 40 years but is having some pretty serious health issues right now. BTW: Rick has a pretty nice 408 stroker (sitting on a stand) that a customer pulled out of. I think he is asking $4K for it.

Looks like the poor things spent too much of their lives with a leaky radiator that didn't see antifreeze that often (can you say overheat, crack, warp?). Think I'd throw them in the drag race pile and find another set to drive. Just my $.02.

Looks like the poor things spent too much of their lives with a leaky radiator that didn't see antifreeze that often (can you say overheat, crack, warp?). Think I'd throw them in the drag race pile and find another set to drive. Just my $.02.

what he said.

Don't know about your area but Oriellys has a machine shop here and they are not the worst on the block at this sort of thing. Fairly reasonable too. Clean em and have em checked.

damnimcooltom What castings are those?
In the first pic casting#4027596=81-83' 318 H.P. heads it looks like.

Can it be fixed?

Sorry, but i can't make that determination from a picture. Bring them to a reputable machine shop and they could tell you in probably 5 minutes if it's worth fixing. I've got a feeling what they'll say though......:angry7:

Sorry, but i can't make that determination from a picture. Bring them to a reputable machine shop and they could tell you in probably 5 minutes if it's worth fixing. I've got a feeling what they'll say though......:angry7:

That would suck. This is all starting to make sense (i hope im wrong though). These were purchased from a member here that ....well lets just say, just had some major issues with another member and they just closed the Thread......sound familier?

My dealing with this person went well, but if they are cracked, maybe he knew?????

GTX,CRACKEDBACK? any comments?

It depends on how bad/thin the surface material is around the coolant hole. If it extends beyond the embossed sealing areas of your head gasket, it's toast for sure.

If the heads get surfaced, the existing hole will likely become larger due to the slope of material.

You could get it fixed, but, at what cost. Maybe have it drilled and an insert welded in, resurfaced. That will not be cheap or easy because of proximity to the head bolt hole. It will likely exceed the cost of finding a good head you could actually use.

Agreed, the cooling system on whatever that was taken off of was not maintained well.

cue theme song for "Sanford and Son".

I will just throw a big ditto to what crackedback said. As all ready suggested, I think that taking them to a good machine shop would be wise. Rob's Machine might be a good choice here. I'm sure Sr & Jr could tell you where you stand.

BTW: I hope that they are usable and don't need a lot of repair work ... for someone's sake.

Are they both like that? Is one maybe cracked, and the other has the "rust-out"?

I might have a head or two you could have. What are you building?

-
Back