Head Porting Help

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I want to do some basic porting on my recently acquired 302 heads that are going on my 318. I've never done any porting work before, but I want to do it to these heads. Motor has Edelbrock Performer and Spitfire headers. Can anyone give me any good advise on basic porting work. I'm not looking to go crazy, just want to enhance street performance the best I can with what I have. Any tips or advise is appreciated. Thanks Mike

well i guess the easiest thing to do would to gasket match i mean get an extra set of gaskets and put them on the heads and start at it or put them on and trace the inside and when you take the gaskets off what ever marks are on there take off.. ivew always wanted to try this i think i might jsut not on my good heads

Gasket matching, and cleaning out the bowl or pocket behind the valve is the best bang for the buck, and the easiest to do, then take them and have a good valve job done and your set.

The only thing I would add is don't make the finish real smooth, the ports work better with a little texture in them.

Chuck

Thanks for the help. Adam, I just read that link and it really covers it well. the only thing I'm worried about is hitting a valve seat. These heads have a fresh valve job. Oh well, wish me luck. Mike

340mopar said:
The only thing I would add is don't make the finish real smooth, the ports work better with a little texture in them.

Chuck

Thats only true for the intake port. The exhaust port can be smooth. The smoother the port the less likely it will build up a lot of carbon.

this port job would help too if your going to use the Air gap intake since they say use 340-360 heads becasue of bigger ports

hey mike where did you end up getting them?(302's) was it the place i gave you?

I got in touch with the place you gave me and they didn't have any at that time, and stated that they were not going to do the 302s any longer. They said that they were just going to do Magnums. Shortly thereafter I came across a set that a guy had all done up, only to discover that he had a cracked block. Thanks for the help anyway. Mike

considering we do this stuff at the shop, I'll give you a few good tips:

#1. Even on the full port, start with the gasket match
#2. Cut about 1/4" - 3/8" down into the port and match to your gasket
#3. When you're done you'll have a ridge......blend the ridge into the rest of the runner using a sanding roll and blend the runner into the bowl

#4. Shaping the runner is something you should leave to "expert"
#5. Turning the valve boss from a round lump into a oval, please remember "less is more"

#6. You won't polish the intake runner if you don't go all the way down to a flapper wheel..........just go from flute, to 300, to 600 grit and you'll be fine.

#7. DO NOT LEAVE THE DRILL IN ONE SPOT!!!!! Make quick passes and keep the head moving back and forth..........used compressed air to blow your work away so you can see what you're doing.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/RgrLee/IMAGE_007.jpg

Your flapper wheel and a polish disc can get a fine polish like seen in the above picture of some 5.7 HEMI heads we sell.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/RgrLee/IMAGE_009.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/RgrLee/IMAGE_008.jpg

Here you can see that you work from the outside in and shape towards the bowl.................then work from the bowl and work back towards in inlet. If you are going to shape, pay attention to taper as you approach the turn and then taper back OUT towards the seat...........

DO NOT TRY AND GET CUTE WITH THE SHORT SIDE....................esp. if you are just starting!

Another tip, Buy some good carbide burrs and an electric die grinder unless you really like to listen to your air compressor running.

Thanks MomsRT for those tips. I agree with you. I just want to do some basic work. I won't try to get fancy. Adam. I"m going to look for an electric one tomorrow. Thanks again to all. Mike

yeah........................don't get cheap stuff.

Shop around for long necks...............you want your tool back as far as possible so you can see what you're doing........................get good lighting.

Just practice port matching and blending............

Call all your buddies and tell them "FREE PORT MATCHING!"

They will come running and you'll get practice.......................that sounds F-ed up, but thats how the rest of us got started. Thats why they said, "You get what cha pay for" :sad1:

-
Back