Header bolts or studs?

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
440 with Schumacher Tri Y headers, Stealth aluminum heads, do you folks run header bolts or studs on the flanges? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Small or big block, I like to keep the end studs. Even in blind head bolt holes.
Schumacher's are easy over full length because of weight.Hang 'um on the studs makes 'um easier to start the center bolts. My 2 cents.

Studs if they don't get in the way of installation. Bolts, maybe, till installed, then you can replace the bolts with a stud and sealer, one at a time.

I use studs where I can, as long as I can get the header on and off without having to remove the stud, in those locations I use bolts.

With alum heads, try to use studs so that all of the threads are engaged in the soft alum; no stripped threads. Studs can be fitted after the headers are put in place to make install easier. Cut the studs to the desired length. Cut/grind a screwdriver slot in one end. Screw the stud in with a s/driver. Use anti-seize.

if you're not feeling cutting a slot or don't want to double nut to install studs these installers are the cats ***.

-
Back