Header Gasket Water Leak

-

ALBA73

Reaction score
Getting closer to startup on my new 318 build but I can not get the two header bolt holes at either end of the heads to stop dripping water. I am using the standard Felpro gasket set on my hookers but I have both types of manifold gasket, full length with hooks on each end and the individual port type, none of which seemed to work for me.

There is probably a simple solution to this problem and I know I am in the right place to find that solution.

Keep in mind that this is my first 318 so any suggestions and guidance is most welcome.

HAPPY MOPAR HOLIDAY!

Bobby.

put thread sealant on the bolt going into the end bolts on each head

I try when possible to use studs on the front and back of the head and seal then in place with Silicone before I add water.

I try when possible to use studs on the front and back of the head and seal then in place with Silicone before I add water.

I will get everything as dry as possible and try the thread sealer.

The studs will be on my next build...for sure!

B~

I always use studs with a little sealer and never have a leak. Nice thing about using studs is if you have to take the header loose water doesn't come pouring out.

I always use studs with a little sealer and never have a leak. Nice thing about using studs is if you have to take the header loose water doesn't come pouring out.

Thanks Fishy, that makes perfect sense! Hopefully today i will get some thread sealer and get that little problem taken care of and get that cam broken in this afternoon :cheers:

Thanks Again!

Yes they do have studs from the factory, but sometimes a header type won't allow you to use studs as you can't get the header pulled back far enough to remove or install the header.

Yes they do have studs from the factory, but sometimes a header type won't allow you to use studs as you can't get the header pulled back far enough to remove or install the header.

And in some cases with cars as old as ours someone before you takes them out as in the case of my car.

Your right that sometimes with studs it can be impossible to get a header on and off. The pass side on mine was that way. I had to cut down the studs on that side to as short as they could be and still work and that allowed enough clearance to slip the header on and off. Glad you mentioned that cause it's been so long since I put them in I forgot. ALBA73 keep that in mind.

Is this a problem unique only to L.A. Block engines/heads from Chrysler? i.e. water jacket's under the bolt holes? I had the same problem on my old 318, could never quite seal the bolt threads with sealant. Using studs on the end's, now that is probably what I should have done.

..sometimes sealant won't seal threads on a stud/.....
i use ARP carb studs (200-2401) the coarse thread goes into the head
and the fine thread is for the nut... me..
.the bump in middle is what seals the hole....(plus your choice of sealant)
ya need both...

Pulled all four corner header bolts and used sealer from O'reileys and no more leaks!!! (fingers and toes crossed) Now just have to work on the timing before my headers glow any brighter and set my engine bay on fire :cherry:

First 15 minutes of startup went well!

Bobby.

I think this might be the reason why my heads do no have the studs, there is not a lot of space even with the exhaust bolts loose. The headers are worth the hassle though...:sad1:...right?

-
Back