Header leak

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
My header was leaking so I replaced gasket but that wasn't it. It's leaking where both pipes go into the flange. Could this be welded to fix it for awhile or no.

20220711_141401_copy_3600x4800.jpg

A note of caution:
When you weld a header flange, bolt it or securely clamp it to a known flat surface and keep it there until it has completely cooled. Welding can distort the flange and cause you all kinds of sealing woes.
You can also use an old junk head to bolt it to. The idea is to keep it flat and true throughout the repair process; because if you warp it, you need to have the mating surface re-flattened either by surface grinding or on a large table/belt sander.

A note of caution:
When you weld a header flange, bolt it or securely clamp it to a known flat surface and keep it there until it has completely cooled. Welding can distort the flange and cause you all kinds of sealing woes.
You can also use an old junk head to bolt it to. The idea is to keep it flat and true throughout the repair process; because if you warp it, you need to have the mating surface re-flattened either by surface grinding or on a large table/belt sander.

Ok makes since. I'm going to have a friend weld it he's pretty good welder. I'll mention it thanks for the tip

-
Back