header leaking at exhaust manifold

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got my engine running, and of course the drivers side header won't seal up in middle two ports. I changed the gasket once, then i got a mr gasket today and changed it again, but its still leaking between the header and the gasket. Are there any better gaskets i can get for it? what else could i try to stop it?

Thanks,

Steve

I agree. Did you try to double up on gaskets?

not yet, talked to someone today at the syracuse nationals and he said try to double the gaskets up. that'll be one of several thing i do tommorow.

Thanks,

Steve

not yet, talked to someone today at the syracuse nationals and he said try to double the gaskets up. that'll be one of several thing i do tommorow.

Thanks,

Steve

I've use stock exhaust manifold gaskets with headers and they last a long time. Also put some Permatex high temp RTV around them also. Allow time for it to dry like overnight. I've got a Quicktime exhaust electric cutout on my truck and they say to use RTV rather than a gasket so that is what I used and it does not leak. So I would try using both on the header.

I agree with Mullinax95,double the gaskets and use a little RED HIGH TEMP SILICONE to affix the gaskets together and a thin coat on the side that goes to the head and a thin coat on the side that goes to the header flange!

Remflex.com

Sounds like some excellent gaskets. I don't know if they sell them individually or a pair but if they sell them individually then it would cost me $92 for both + shipping. It says gasket not gaskets so I'm pretty sure that they sell for each.

i think i'll try doubling them up first, if that don't work i'll probably try the remflex.

Thanks,
Steve

i had collector problems.. the remflex's did the trick...

years of tightening the flanges made them bend and no gasket would stop it...

unitl the rems....

I had the same problem with the middle two ports and could not for the life of me get it to seal. One day on the way to work I blew another gasket so while i was at work I wrapped the offending ports on the gasket in several layers of heavy duty tin foil i then cut out the holes and bolted it back up and to make a long story short years later it was still holding. Now if your gonna do it correctly this is not the way but in a pinch and if you have a lousy memory to remember to change it out, this way works like a champ,( at least it did for me).

racy

i doubled it up, still leaks, going to remflex.

Thanks,

Steve

You can also cut the header flange between ports so that each port isnt affected buy the others.

I'd run a flat file across the leaking flange on the header and make sure that nothing is sticking up.I always spray my header gaskets with the spray copper coating usually two coats on each side allowing them to dry overnight before putting them on.

Thanks Chuck, i think i will try them out first, $14 is much nicer than $92. My header flange is cut between 1 and 3, and cut again between 5 and 7.

The header is very tight, its the drivers side and almost touches the steering gearbox, so no room to spray anything in there, i dont think there is enough room to try putting the high temp silicon in, i think it would get smeared all over the header and head since i have to slide the gaskets into place.

Thanks again!

Steve

-
Back