Header Leaks??

-

Topshelf22

Reaction score
Hey guys, signed up a while ago, but just now needing some advice. I have a '69 Dart with a 318 from a '72 Charger. The previous owner installed a set of "bargain" headers, which of course leak from the center two pipes at the heads. I'm friends with the guy and he tells me that this leak is common and almost all the headers leak....I say NO WAY!

1. Is this that common?

2. I want this issue fixed (of course) and I am trying to decide whether to just go with manifolds or go with a set of good Doug's headers.

3. If I go with the Doug's, how would I get the right ones to fit a '69 Dart, with a '72 318, hooked up to a '93 Automatic tranny?? Or will any '69 A-body set up work. I do have a mini starter, so that shouldn't be an issue....

Thanks in advance.....

are they leaking between the flange and the pipes, or from the gasket?

The gasket is a easy fix.

My "cheapy" headers don't leak, but I cut the flanges on them so they can flex. I also spray copper coat on the gaskets before install.

more than likely they used the correct mounts for your car, so most headers should fit.

Remflex makes a gasket that will conform to the rough surface found on most chepo headers. Put a set on my small block with LAX heads and Headman headers and no more leaks. Got mine off of Ebay but some speed shops are starting to carry them.

Cool, All those look like viable first options before I get into a real expensive complete header replacement. The guy said he used good gaskets, but a mechanic buddy of mine said they looked thin to him.

Ok, Now a STUPID question....It's been a while since I have wrenched on a car. Can the gasket be replaced without a complete removal of the headers? The head studs, can be removed right? I know there is no way to move those headers far enough over to slip over the studs. Way too packed in there....

end holes on gaskets are open at the bottom you only need to remove the center bolts

have run headmans,hookers and tti and never had a problem with leaks...

here ya go. check this article out. may have to enter an e-mail address to read it. http://editions.amospublishing.com/...1&f=1&id=be70f1e0-76a6-4d0d-9bad-835a6ae7d0d2

!cid_page2.png

Watch those leaks. I had to mill .040 off exhaust surface on my j heads due to somebody running engine with blown gasket. Hot exhaust gasses will eat into cast iron in time. It was center two ports on my heads.

You guys kick butt!! Thanks for the info and the magazine article!!

First I am going to try a retorque of the bolts, probably not gonna do anything. Then I'll grab some Remflex Gaskets and try that. I feel this will solve the issue...we will see. If it does not, I will be shopping for a set of Dougs Headers!!

Torque for the headers is 30-35lbs correct??

-
Back