Header Selection (TTI or Schumacher) for 408 Stroker

-

Chebe

Reaction score
I've got a 69 Plymouth Mod Top Barracuda currently with 318 and 904 auto tranny. I bought the Tremec TKO500 tranny conversion from Silver Sports Transmissions and have decided to undergo the 408 Stroker conversion as well from BluePrint Engines (thanks to Johnny Mac) - 445HP/500TQ. TTI & Schumacher appear to make a great product from speaking with them and researching but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. Every answer seems to be revolving around fitment for the 360 block in the a-bodies. Fitment does matter but so does power. I don't want to make any cuts or have to dent an expensive header to make it fit. Has anyone compared the two power wise on the small blocks that could recommend one vs the other.

The car will remain a street car just more fun to drive with A/C (way to hot in south Louisiana without it), power steering (Firm Feel Stage 3 power steering with fast ratio idler and pitman - I know this has to come off and go back to stock) and posi track 3.91 gear rear chunk. I'm aware of the recommendation of the mini starter and will purchase one. I was planning on using the Schumacher 340/360 conversion motor mounts. TTI does state if a TKO500 conversion is used the tailshaft of the transmission must be in the exact location as the stock transmission which has me a bit worried as I do not know what to expect right now on placement. Currently the car has 2.5" exhaust and I was going to try to use it which is perfect for the Schumacher's being they have a 2.5" collector and comes with the socket flanges but no header studs and bolts. The TTI has a 3" collector which I would have to reduce back down to 2.5" to reuse the current exhaust or convert to 3". I don't want to regret buying one over the other as they are not cheap especially for the polished ceramic thermal barrier option. What kind of power difference if any has anyone seen between the two? Thank you in advance.

408 is a 4” crank in a 360 block. So you will have a 360 block. I’m confused, is the question which header makes more power?

I've read they both fit pretty dang good. Although I have TTI's with a 360 based smallblock, fitment is like I said, pretty good. However I don't like to jack the engine up for install and removal of the headers, you have to do this with TTI.

The Schumachers claim you do not have to jack the motor up, they slide right in. Because of this, I want to buy a set and give them a try. Now they are a Tri Y header so I've also read you'll lose some power. How much, I don't know. Some guys claim 1/2 second in the quarter. Doesn't matter to me, With a 500 HP smallblock I don't require every last bit. (street car mainly)

Now, will they fit with a QuickTime bellhousing? (that's what I have) I don't know, they mention these headers are not for 4 speed cars, but I have a hydraulic clutch so the linkage won't be an issue for me...

At your performance level you wouldn’t need 3” exhaust. That being said I have only heard good things about TTI. Both will perform enough for a low 12 sec high 11 sec car with the right driveline. That’s pretty quick for a street car only.

At your performance level you wouldn’t need 3” exhaust. That being said I have only heard good things about TTI. Both will perform enough for a low 12 sec high 11 sec car with the right driveline. That’s pretty quick for a street car only.
That’s basically what I was looking for without being able to say it. 3” seemed large. The Schumacher’s are still about $125 more than the TTI’s and on back order. I was trying to get it all together for Cruisin’ the Coast the first week of October

I love the mod top, I looked at buying a coupe to run in FAST, but it was a real car and even though I wouldn’t make any permanent changes to it I felt guilty about it. Cream yellow with the black/cream pattern.

I love the mod top, I looked at buying a coupe to run in FAST, but it was a real car and even though I wouldn’t make any permanent changes to it I felt guilty about it. Cream yellow with the black/cream pattern.
Mine is actually originally white (W1) believe it or not. Got the vin tag to prove. I can't seem to find out how rare she is but I'm refusing to make any drastic changes that would take away from it. I figure I can always go back to bone stock if needed this route. I have the original 318 but its locked up and rear end, tranny went missing and the original seat covers and door panels.

3 inch fenderwell headers and be done with it. Everything else is 2nd rate!

I have had both the tti 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step header on a stroker( 416 that ran 10.70’s)
And the TTI W5 headers on a car that ran 9.80’s. Both were somewhat of a pain to install on an A body. Little dinging here and there.
And i wasnt at all elated with the coating on both i paid extra to have done by them.
I am currently running a set of the Dougs headers on my ABody that has a stock stroke 360 in it and has gone 11.20’s thus far( and will run better this fall when in good air.)
I have no doubt these headers would support 500 horse easily. Not sure what i am making, but its 450 or better i am sure
I love how these fit, look, plug access, and quality of coating. Prefer them to TTI without a doubt.
If it were me, the Doug’s is the way i would go. They would easily support what you have going on.
Think the part number is D 453, but will have to check. They are on my 69 Dart.

655 coated from Summit. Read the reviews on Summit about them. I agree

I have had both the tti 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step header on a stroker( 416 that ran 10.70’s)
And the TTI W5 headers on a car that ran 9.80’s. Both were somewhat of a pain to install on an A body. Little dinging here and there.
And i wasnt at all elated with the coating on both i paid extra to have done by them.
I am currently running a set of the Dougs headers on my ABody that has a stock stroke 360 in it and has gone 11.20’s thus far( and will run better this fall when in good air.)
I have no doubt these headers would support 500 horse easily. Not sure what i am making, but its 450 or better i am sure
I love how these fit, look, plug access, and quality of coating. Prefer them to TTI without a doubt.
If it were me, the Doug’s is the way i would go. They would easily support what you have going on.
Think the part number is D 453, but will have to check. They are on my 69 Dart.

655 coated from Summit. Read the reviews on Summit about them. I agree
Thank you, I’ve called and spoke with them and I’m leaning that route now. I really appreciate the heads up on the quality because that is important as well.

Schuy more $$$ than TTI.

Hahaha ! !

How's that commercial go . .
(Bang-head). I coulda had a Doug's . .

Last edited:
For fitment of tti s in my 65 dart, i had to loosen the motormount to k member and shift the motor on the mounts. I also had to move the tailshaft mount about 3/8 sideways (elongate hole, reweld) to get everything to fit without having to dent the headers.

You can make great power with a 1 5/8 primary, if you run it into a 3" exhaust pipe and dont choke it with chambered mufflers...though with a 4"arm the step to 1 3/4 will extend 'mostly shift' the torque rpm higher and ultimately have a higher hp.

Dont bother with the Schumacher if they cost more than a cheap under the centerlink style, you'll be spending more money for the same result in power.

I went from a hedman 1 5/8 to a tti 1 5/8-3/4 and the balls start about 700 rpm higher off the line in comparison but also extends the torque higher in the range and makes more peak power.
Cam should be considered of course.
If I were road racing... I might stick with a 1 5/8 primary, that is if I were stubborn enough not to just gear it more.
Many ways to do it.

Two and a half inch exhaust is on the small side for a 4 inch arm, it works but falls off at the top noticeably, "the top" meaning over 52-5500 rpm. If you're set on running two and a half inch pipes... By the tti's and just neck them down after the collector and run a straight through Muffler. If you want to run a 2 and 1/2 and don't do it this way you'll lose power.

Last edited:
-
Back