Header/tire problem

-

ucmor-race

Reaction score
I'm running a stroked 400 in my 73 Duster. I have a front tire clearance problem with the Hooker Competition fenderwell headers. I'm currently running a 22" tire because anything larger hits the headers. Anyone have solutions?

All Hooker fenderwell headers need to use a small diameter tires

I have them on my Dart Sport, its just the nature of the beast, makes for some real wide u turns

Prolly not what you want to hear, but I am very pleased with the 2" primary TTI underchassis headers. No issues with tire rub with them. They are unequal length, so you may lose a few HP to the Hookers, but much nicer on a street/strip car.

I modified a set of Hooker B-body 2 inch headers for my 440 Duster. They all come apart and are totally under chassis. I like the taller front tires. It took a lot of work but I was happy with the results.

yeah, common problem.
I re-snaked the 2 forward tubes on my Hooker SC's that form a "Cluster" of 4 and rub on the tire, over, so as to be "side by side" in a line of 4 against the Fenderwell.
Allowed me to go to the 27X10 Moroso Balonies, and better lights, for me anyways, as a footlauncher.
Dunno if you wanna go to that much work nowadays ?
Dunno if I still have Pics, I'll look.

Bob.

I dont know how much you have in the tires and wheels, Im concidering the newer TTI headers. Ive had tire trouble ever since Ive had the car (67 cuda). If I had a money in the tires, I would concider checking into newer headers

I had the same problem with my '71 Duster. It looked stupid with 31 inch rear tires and when I made the return road u-turn I had to go off the pavement onto the grass! Now on the red car I have 26 inch fronts and custom headers.

-
Back