header wrap or not?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
have any of you guys used header wrap or heard anything good or bad about it im looking into wraping my spitfires when there off, anyone use it? like it? dont like it, why?

Some header companies will not warranty their headers if wrap is used. Reason being that they retain moisture and an incredible amount of heat.

On a race only car I have heard claims of increased hp due to lower underhood temps but I doubt it would be worth it on a street driven car.

thought of wrapping them to keep temps down, dei has a Silicone Coating thay you spray on after wrapping thats soppose to protect it from all the road grime, dirt, oil, and moisture. but was just wondering what everyone else thought of the header wrap idea.

If you want to lower under hoood temps, get them jet hot coated. Makes a noticeable difference.

If the spray coating is worth it's salt, then it would be a good idea.

I have, in the past wrapped up my headers. But the wrap would retain water. Even after several hot days and runs, you could see/smell the steam. This and the thin metal of the tubes on some headers take a serious beating.
My headers cracked from the intense heat. The wrap company blamed it on me and not knowing how to jet a carb. Lean/rich conditions with a poor intake, etc..... a million excuses.

The theroy is sound. Keep the heat in the tube so the gas's stay hot. If the exhaust gas is hot, it will exit much more quickly.
If the exhaust gas cools, it slows, it bunchs up. The escaped heat, the engine sucks it in lowering power further.
(And then people wonder why a smaller tube exhuast pipe is used sometimes!)

OH, I went the coated header route. Thumbs up!

It does lower the underhood temps nicely but it definetly shortens the life a bunch. I found that out the hard way. I put a very good quality set of headers (3/8 flanges and 14 gauge tubing) on my old Dakota pickup and wrapped them and they only lasted about 4 yrs./40,000 miles before they were complete junk. All cracked and rusted out. I'll never use it again.

You know fishy, I have said that over and over through the years and every once in a great while, some one else confirms and has the same issue I had.

-
Back