Header Wrap

-

GeorgeGerhard

Reaction score
Xmas was a cold day here in Connecticut, so I decided to start wrapping my headers. Two of the tubes are extremely close to the starter.
Would love to hear the pros and cons of the header wrap

thank you
George

I pulled mine off, The wrap holds heat and rots the headers, had to weld in patches. I would not recommend. I wrapped my brake lines and wires to protect them from heat.

Mark
68 GTS 440

Ceramic coating works beter and the pipes wont rot. Coating can crack though.

The header wrap can probably reduce underhood heat by 70 dgree's F or more. I think that unless you have a problem with heat and have already taken steps like good rad,electric fans etc it should be a last resort.

Ive always painted and then wrapped and if it sat for a while i would spray w-d40 on them, and it kept the heat down pretty good

I cant say I have a problem, I recently purchased this car. However two of the header tubes are very close to the starter, and I was concerned about creating a problem, and lowering the overall temp.
Gee I just spent $100 for the wrap and clamps.
Should I just leave some wrap around the tubes closest to the starter?
thank you
George

Make a heat shield for the starter and leave the headers be.

George, I have issue with the header wrap on my daily drivers. On passed hot rod cars (Insert drivin in nice weather only ! ) I have not had a problem.
Freinds of mine that race cars, use the wrap on love it. But they also replace parts often and if and when it comes to the headers, it's nothing but a couple of pennies to them in the big picture.

My advice is to wrap the section of pipe needed to sheild the starter at most if the car will be driven in all sorts of weather. This way, the wrap will not soke up the water and rust the pipe.

Then, spray/caot the wrap with a high heat paint to help form a barrier on top of the wrap. This works peerty good and should last a long time. Thermo Tech has such paints.

Do not cover coated headers with the wrap since the wrap holds in heat and can break down the coating and pipe with excessive heat being retained. The constant heat cycles can wear down and faitgue the metal at a faster rate than normal. The pipe will crack leaking exhaust gas.

From the been there done that camp.

ok Im sold
Today I will remove the header wrap, and chalk up one hundred bucks, and several hours of work.
Thank you for the feedback
George Gerhard

-
Back