Headers for 74 Dart Swinger 318

-

INVUJerry

Reaction score
Hey guys. I new to this forum, but not quite new to dodges. I've had 2 neons so far (a stock 2005 neon that I've put 94K miles on), a 98 neon that I drag race (should be in mid 14's this year on motor, 13's on spray), and an 04 Dakota 4.7 v-8.

I've been reading around here about how hard it is to put headers on a car, how some headers go above the suspension, some go under, etc etc. To be honest, I haven't taken a very good look at my Dart yet, I just bought it on Tuesday and put tags on it. It is a 318 with a column shifted 3speed, and from what I understand, it is bone stock, except for the cherry bomb exhaust that was put on it at some point.

My question is this: What headers will go onto the car, with the least amount of fighting, for inexpensive? I am somewhat of a cheapass, and I don't want to spend $450 on headers for the car. I did notice summit had a set for $100, but I have a sinking feeling that they wont work as well as something else.

I did notice these hedman headers that are $279, but they are short tubes. I know full tube headers would be the best, but this car is not going to be anything radical in the short term (this year, or even next).

The setup for this car is going to be pretty simple. Just a 318 with a 4 barrel intake and carb, a cam to give it a lump, a set of ported heads, whatever headers fit easiest, and a posi unit at some point, and maybe a transgo shift kit. If I come across a 360 for a good price, I'll use it with the bolt ons that I buy for the 318. I would like to run 14's with it next year, and just have a nice crusing vehicle. The neon is going to be my "go fast" car for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks a lot.

I've tried the cheapies, actually they weren't that cheap as I got the ceramic coated Dynomax. Just like all the other cheap headers you have tubes going above and below the steering. They didn't fit that well and the a couple of tubes were smashed pretty good in a short amount of time. I finally broke down and bought a set of Doug's D453's. They fit awesome and all the tubes are above the steering similar to the TTI's.

I have a set of hooker competition headers right now on my 318 in my 73 dart. They are a huge pain to install and remove, but the fit is good once they are in even around the power steering. On the drivers side the tubes do capture the drag link.

What about the hedman short tubes, has anyone used those?

If all else fails, I'll try to find a set of used TTi's or Doug's at Carlisle next month.

I've got a set of Thorley's that are over chassis for sale. 1-5/8 primaries, but 2.5" collector. They fit, but were pretty tight around the power steering. I guess I should say almost fit as after I got them in there wasn't enough clearance for the starter with a 727. They were made for the 904. Not sure if the starter will fit the manual bell housing and these headers though. Shoot me private message if your interested.

-
Back